New member in PA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wbf610

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 23, 2016
Near Allentown, PA
Hello all. New guy here, been reading tons over the last few weeks. I had been researching smokers, and was undecided until my parents visited, and my grill stopped working. So...I ended up getting an Oklahoma joes 3 in 1 on the quick. Figured it wasn't the best of all worlds, but could do it all when needed. I'm pleased so far. First plans weren't to smoke regularly, but that has changed, and my freezer is full of ribs, butts, brisket, loin and tenderloin. I quickly read and modded the grill to perform better. I've done ribs, pork tenderloin and loin so far, with not many leftovers. Here is some Q'view of all that.
All done on a mix of KBB and lump coal, with apple and cherry chips and chunk. I use a basket and a tray I made for coals. Been able to get consistent 6 hour burns so far with what I have.

pork tenderloin

Pork loin

Ribs

Everything had good flavor, and my neighbor is suddenly stopping over more!!

Look forwarded to learning more from you all. Thinking about trying my first brisket this weekend. Researching that now.

Cheers!

Reactions: mike5051
Welcome to the forum!

Glad to have you with us!

Looks like your getting pretty comfortable with your new smoker.

That's some great looking Q!

Al

Welcome. The meat all looks good. Nice medium on the Pork Tenders. My family won't eat well done pork, other than pulled, any more. Came a long way since Mom's cooked to super well pork. Good thing she made great gravy! Where in PA are you at? There are a bunch of PA guy spread around the state...JJ

Welcome. The meat all looks good. Nice medium on the Pork Tenders. My family won't eat well done pork, other than pulled, any more. Came a long way since Mom's cooked to super well pork. Good thing she made great gravy! Where in PA are you at? There are a bunch of PA guy spread around the state...JJ

Thanks for the compliments. That tenderloin was good. I'm near Allentown.

Welcome to the club! I'm about 1-1.5 hours away from you in Lancaster County :-) 

Near Allentown? That puts you in BEAR Country...Bearcarver that is, in Macungie. Long time member and great guy. He should be by soon..JJ

Last edited:

Near Allentown? That puts you in BEAR Country...Bearcarver that is, in Macungie. Long time member and great guy. He should be by soon..JJ
​Yeah, I knew that from reading his awesome posts, but forgot until you posted.  Maybe he'll take a new guy under his wing and give me some hands-on lessons (and plenty of taste tests??).

Welcome from Lower Bucks on the Delaware River. Looks like your hooked with some nice Q to show for it. Spend quite a bit of time up in your area-Weaversville and Bethlehem area with old bandmates. Nice area up there.

Welcome from Lower Bucks on the Delaware River. Looks like your hooked with some nice Q to show for it. Spend quite a bit of time up in your area-Weaversville and Bethlehem area with old bandmates. Nice area up there.
​I'm very familiar with that area!! 

You began smoking. I've found that now there is no end, like all other hobbies that we get into.
Oh hell yeah. Already looking for a better smoker to play with for long smokes. Then again, it would be nice to be able to cold smoke cheese, need something for that. Now let's talk sausage, snack sticks, jerky...........

The list goes on.

Oh hell yeah. Already looking for a better smoker to play with for long smokes. Then again, it would be nice to be able to cold smoke cheese, need something for that. Now let's talk sausage, snack sticks, jerky...........

The list goes on.
lol  No doubt Brother!  Now you've gone and done it! 
icon14.gif

You're going to find so many absolutely amazing recipes on here as well as some of the most generous people to give advice as well as share their recipes and knowledge with you.  Everyone here is amazing.  I'll give you a little tip, if you see something that you can't find the recipe for, i.e. a BBQ sauce, etc..., sometimes all you have to do is ask.  People are very generous.

This weekend I'm trying Bacon On A Stick and Dutch's Baked Beans.  The family absolutely LOVES Gary's Baked Beans but I also want to try Dutch's.  And everything on here that states, "People in my family weren't crazy about this, but since I tried this person's recipe they yell at me when I don't make it."  Those statements couldn't be more true!!!

Keep in touch.  Hopefully within the next couple of weeks I'll be having an interview down in Allentown.  If I get the job, maybe we could meet up at some point.

Chad

lol  No doubt Brother!  Now you've gone and done it!  Thumbs Up

You're going to find so many absolutely amazing recipes on here as well as some of the most generous people to give advice as well as share their recipes and knowledge with you.  Everyone here is amazing.  I'll give you a little tip, if you see something that you can't find the recipe for, i.e. a BBQ sauce, etc..., sometimes all you have to do is ask.  People are very generous.

This weekend I'm trying Bacon On A Stick and Dutch's Baked Beans.  The family absolutely LOVES Gary's Baked Beans but I also want to try Dutch's.  And everything on here that states, "People in my family weren't crazy about this, but since I tried this person's recipe they yell at me when I don't make it."  Those statements couldn't be more true!!!

Keep in touch.  Hopefully within the next couple of weeks I'll be having an interview down in Allentown.  If I get the job, maybe we could meet up at some point.

Chad

Yeah man. Let me know if you get it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky