New Klose 20x30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

roots75

Original poster
Jan 19, 2007
California
Howdy all for my birthday my fiance got me a brand new klose backyard smoker 20x30. I have been BBQing all my life and am decent at it, but when it comes to smoking i have little experiance. I am fine on wreckng some meals and learning as i go with trial and error but i dont want to season a $1500 dollar smoker wrong.

What Im looking for is some help on the seasoning I understand to wipe it down with oil but I need some more info on temp and how to maintain the right temp?

If some of you can help guide me through the complete proccess i would be forever gratful !

Hope all are well
Angelo

Angelo, Here are some general instruction on seasoning a smoker. Use a new nylon paint brush and brush the interior of your food chamber and the food rack(s) with a good quality vegetable or canola oil.

Build your fire in the firebox and bring up the food chamber temps to 350-400* and maintain this temp for an hour or longer. Allow the fire to go out and let the smoker cool off. I should mention that the initial seasoning session should be just that-a seasoning session-no food should be in the food chamber.

I know that we have some Klose smoker users here at SMF-hopefully they will give you some pointer for the Klose pits.

Welcome to the board Roots75! You better make sure you don't let that fiancee' get away! Would you like to trade wives? :lol: :lol:

Spraying down w/ Pam is an easy way and does a fine job. All you're really after is a non-rust film on the inside of the oven. It's futile to try to season the firebox, anything you put on it will eventually burn off.

Let's see some pix of the new "baby"

Tim

thanks for the help, and yes i think now i will keep her. Any instruction on mainting that heat level of 350-400 for that long? I have lump charcoal and some pecan and hicory logs???????

I don't know your unit, but I'd think charcoal would do it. You could always use a weed burning torch if you want to go spend $50.

Personally, I don't think it's all that critical. I've never seasoned any of my smokers, and I've not had any problems. I just burn them in good to make sure to burn off any mill oils and then let the cooking process do the seasoning. I suppose if you're not going to use it much it might be important, but mine never rests that long.

Tim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky