New Guy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

taz6317

Original poster
May 15, 2006
Conowingo, MD
Hey Everybody,

I just signed up and thought I would introduce myself. I live in northeastern Maryland, and have always loved cooking outdoors. Been grilling and doing a little smoking on a weber kettle year round for the last few years, but the poor critter is starting to show it's age, so I've been looking at upgrading. Found this site while doing my research. The Brinkmann Cimarron is in the lead right now, although I've also considered the Meadowcreek SQ36, since the local meat guy is a dealer for them. I prefer the offset arrangement since i can also use it to grill, rather than the verticals. I'm open for any suggest ions you all might have. Thanks in advance.

Jim

Well welcome to the site. It is quite fortunate that you tripped over this site. It is very informative. If you go to the section on types of smokers you can get some great ideas on what type of smoker you should get. Much is based on personal preference.

Good luck.

Taz, Welcome to SMF-a lot of folks found this site just as you did and like you they decided to join our merry band of smokers.

Cheech has given you some god advice about checking out the Euipment area of this forum but in the end it comes down to what you like and what you can afford.

Howdy Taz and Welcome. This is a great site, so glad you joined. I too like the offsets, that's what we smoke on and it turns out great Q. Happy Smoking!

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I did some ribs on Memorial Day with the 3-2-1 method I found here and they were certainly the best ribs I've ever made. Falling off the bone tender and juicy. Did them in my old Weber kettle, as I haven't gotten the bigger smoker yet. I think those ribs convinced the wife that we NEED a bigger smoker (not that she was arguing too loud). See ya around!

YO Q Bro,

I live in Wisconsin so understand your winter challenge when it comes to smoking temps. Get the Meadowcreek. Made near you and will hold the heat better than most retail store smokers. Quality build is the first point. Functional design next and will last where the sheet metal stuff will not. Heat and elements take a toll. Why do they not build wood stoves out of sheet metal? Cuz it dont last. do you want your smoke leaking out of the seams or in your ribs? Do your homework. I walked that mile and have owned em all. Will answer any questions as it makes a difference.

Hello Jim 
welcome1.gif
 to SMF glad to have you here 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky