New Guy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

blackcobra

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Camas, Wa
I've been using smokers for the better part of 10 years now. I have used offset stick-burners, CookShack electric, and most recently a Traeger.

While the Traeger did fine on most of the cooks I did with it, it did leave me stranded without fire a couple times. The last time [Memorial Day] I had 30 pounds of meat and no heat/smoke. I couldn't get it to work at all [previously I was able to coax it into working], so I vowed never to use it again. Fortunately, my buddy has a Traeger, as well - he let me use his and saved the say.

The other thing I didn't like about the Traeger is that it didn't get hot enough to sear. I want to cook steaks on the same rig as I use for smoking. Just a convenience factor, and I hate filling propane for my gas grill.

I am fairly certain that I've settled on the Yoder brand - from reading reviews it seems that they are well-built and reliable. And if they get up to 600 degrees, they should do fine with steaks and burgers.

This is not intended to bash Traeger - I got a lot of miles out of mine, and it mostly worked great. Just looking for something different this time.

Cheers,

-BC

Hello BC, welcome to the site, hope you get your smoker sorted out, has to be aggravating   Best of luck

Gary S

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky