New guy smokin checking in

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

UtahSkier

Original poster
Jan 28, 2018
Until I purchased my Backwoods Chubby G2 smoker last November, I have never smoked before. So, I am still working to get things right. The good news is everything has been edible and enjoyable so far.

My setup is this; I am located in Salt Lake City and yes, the winters seem to be a little cold. Todays smoke had temps around 32 degrees with a storm arriving during the smoke(a bit windy, a drop in temps and some snow).
I am using the Weber igrill to monitor ambient temps and 2 probes. I am also using the Weber briquettes.

For Today's smoke, I am using pecan wood chunks and will be cooking 4 lbs of Costco prime tri-tip, 2.25 lbs of bone-in turkey breast, and a bunch of Trader Joes gold potatoes. I am using Jeff's BBQ rub and Jeff's BBQ sauce.

The plan was to smoke the meats for around 2 hrs at a temp around 225-250 until both the beef and the turkey IT reaches 165 degrees.

Generally, the smoke went well. This is about the 5th time I have used the smoker, so I barely have a clue as to what I am doing!

The smoke took about 3 hours for the turkey breast to reach 165. The trip tip was at 158 and that was good enough.

I started the fire using the Weber chimney and place the coals in the back. Vents are all open and an hour later, the door temp is about 280. Which is fine, since the temp will really drop once I open the door.

I place the meat and potatoes in the smoker, set the temp probes and close the door and now the real work begins.

My biggest challenge is two fold;
1. I have great difficulty managing a constant temp between 225 and 250.
2. The pecan wood chucks burn quickly and spike the temperature.

I keep the top vent completely open. The rear left vent, I close to about 1/8 inch and then adjust the right front vent as needed. I want the fire to burn forward into the charcoal (minion method I believe).

My challenge has been the temperature climbs, climbs and climbs until it falls, falls and falls. The door temp ranges from 220-280. Not what I wish to achieve. Worse yet, the temp spikes when I add pecan wood chunks.
They catch fire and are gone fairly quickly.

Because of these temp management issues, I am not yet ready for prime time which is an overnight smoke of a packer brisket.

Despite these short comings, the meats taste great. They give me some lunch time protein on my ski days!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1869.JPG
    IMG_1869.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1873.JPG
    IMG_1873.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1875.JPG
    IMG_1875.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1876.JPG
    IMG_1876.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: Rings Я Us
That all looks good! I like my tri tip more on the medium rare side so I pull at 135 but everything looks awesome in your pics. My mouth is watering right now :D

George

Very cool smoker, insulated 3 layers .. you'll get it dialed in.
Probably have to get the smoker ready for an hour almost before the meat goes in. Then wait up to an hour to watch temps slowly climb back up. Likely just a 1/4 cracked damper on the bottom and top open good.
Add your chunks in after half an hour and with the bottom just 1/4 open. They should stay smoldering without a bunch of air.

Anyway.. good to have ya.. welcome into the group!

Be safe..

Ah...I see you are using Weber wood chunks. That is why the wood flames up, it’s very dry wood with almost no moisture in it. Try adding the wood off to the side of the coals, that should help.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky