New from So. Cal.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rams2002

Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
i have a gas burner smoker with 2 trays for wood chunk/chips. i have only used it once, the wood chunks caught fire. how do you make the chips smoke more than blaze?

sorry i realized afterwards i didnt intro my self properly.

my name is Paul from Orange, Ca. i have smoked fish for over 20 years, but this new gas smoker is a lot different then my electric chief. i smoked my first set of baby backs, with some tips from the smoking-meat site they turned out great.

just trying to get a handle on the chips issue

Paul

Welcome Paul,

What make of smoker do you have? That might help the friendly folks here at SMF to answer your question. My Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain (GOSM) smoker has a top for the cast iron box that I use when I smoke with chips. Most of the time I use chunks that don't flame up. Another possible solution is to soak the chips in water for about 1/2 hour before you throw them in the smoker.

Hope this helps.

Take care, have fun and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Here it is! I purchased it at sams club
0f445a9b_vbattach11005.jpg

yo orange county dude,
im glad to meet you.

does the propane tank fit under the grill??

is that robie the robots cousin??---[danger danger will robinson]

The tank does fit in the bottom portion(behind door # 2)

it is the Makers Mark

Paul

I'll take what's behind door number 1 :D . Welcome Paul, glad to have you here. Do you have a good brine for cold smoking salmon? As the weather gets cooler here in Colorado, I want to do a cold smoke... Again, welcome.

Paul, Welcome to SMF. I'm making a most unscientific assumption here but most wood flare-ups occur when the door is opened-the increased airflow causes the the smoldering wood to burst into flames. Once the additional airflow is restricted (by closing the door) the chunks or chips return to smoldering. There was a similar problem with the Master Built electric smoker, but that company came out with a kit to prevent the flare-ups.

I would try contacting the Makers Mark Customer Service to see if they have a possible solution if this continues to be a problem.

Thanks dutch... I will give them a call. the doors were shut, and i went out to put the ribs in and there was already a forest fire like blaze in their.

Jmack, I havent cold smoked salmon, but i have always used a commercial salmon brine. after an all night swim in the brine i give it a light rinse, pat dry and give it a dark brown sugar massage. the result is a mouth watering indian candy style smoked salmon. not sure if this would apply to a cold smoke or not but it has always been one of my favorites.

Paul

i soaked the chunks in water for about an hour and that did the trick.
smoked a couple of tri tip roasts. no flare ups, turned out great!

Paul

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky