New from NC

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcoleman66

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 3, 2020
Raleigh NC
Good Day Folks!

I am a new user from the Raleigh NC area. I have been smoking for several years using a Masterbuilt Electric 30. It died on my last cook and doesn't look like I can resurrect. Recently purchased (last weekend) a Pit Boss Series 4 vertical smoker. Have only had a chance to season and run test on how it holds temp.

Looking for any hints and tips for this new smoker and excited to see all the great information and cooks!

Cheers,

John

Reactions: JC in GB
Welcome from Wisconsin.

If your MES 30 still has a good heating element, you could easily resurrect it with a new controller.

Even if the element is bad, it is a pretty cheap and easy fix.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: jcoleman66
Welcome from Wisconsin.

If your MES 30 still has a good heating element, you could easily resurrect it with a new controller.

Even if the element is bad, it is a pretty cheap and easy fix.

JC :emoji_cat:
Hi JC
I replaced the heating element as this seemed to be the logical part. Lost heat while cooking. Not getting power to the element for some reason. The control panel still shows things correctly, not seeing any error codes.
Not sure where the disconnect is.

Thanks,

John

Could be ratty terminals. That is a common issue.
Yeah was thinking that too. Everything "looks" clean. Being sealed like it is, makes it a pain to track things down. I crimped the terminals a bit as they were loose.

Thanks so much for the ideas :emoji_slight_smile: 20200918_150824.jpg
Multimeter is showing no power when tested.

Welcome from New Bern

Think it’s also pretty easy to bypass that controller and wire in an Auber (or other) PID controller.

Reactions: jcoleman66
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky