New from Ireland

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

niallam

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 18, 2015
Ireland
Hi all, Niall's my name, from Ireland. A country where a BBQ is a burger on a gas grill :)
Been doing a small bit of smoking for just over a year on a cheap offset smoker I picked up online. No shops really sell them over here, can get custom built reverse flows alright but you'd need to supply a full design because nobody understands a real smoker over here.

I've mostly done chicken thigh's and pork shoulder but think a WSM is next on my list for my next step towards a reverse flow trailer build :)

Hi Nial and welcome to the Forum - there are a growing number of fellow smoking enthusiasts this side of the Atlantic. Where in Ireland are you from?

What is the smoker that you bought and what have you smoked on it. The price of the smoker by no means dictates how good it is for smoking food. With simple modifications you could produce great tasting meat on many of the cheapest of smokers.

Regardless of which part of Ireland that you are from please feel welcome to join us in the UK Smokers group. This is visible to everyone in the main forum too, however if you post a question that is more specific to the UK and Ireland then you may get a faster response in there.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/229926/roll-call  

Don't necessarily set your ultimate goal as being a reverse flow trailer build. They are nice smokers but it will really depend on what you want to smoke and in what quantities. If you intend to go commercial then I can understand, however for social gatherings I have found that I usually need a mix of units for any one event. I may have pulled pork in one, ribs in another and possibly a chicken or some corn bread in a third. Just having one big smoker can sometimes  limit versatility.

The WSM is a good smoker and if you got yourself a 57 cm one of those and used it in conjunction with your current offset you may not find you need anything else. I do a lot of smoking, some commercially, and I find that in many situations a couple of simple Weber 57 cm kettles are invaluable.

It is great that you are spreading the word in Ireland and I look forward to reading your posts. One thing that you should remember is that we love pictures on here. There is nothing like a good picture of what you have smoked to get all of our mouths watering 
icon14.gif

Last edited:
Hi Nial, welcome to our "Family" and "Addiction"

Good to see a growing following for proper BBQ on this side of the Atlantic.

Please drop by the UK Smokers Forum and introduce yourself on the Roll Call site. This will help when asking questions about particular cuts or meats etc, as we have different names and terms for things over here.

Smokin Monkey [emoji]133660013031[/emoji]

Hiya Niall, hope you are OK , welcome to the forum and all that,  

I am please that you have found the Smoking Meat Forums.

As smoking has gained popularity in the UK we have been given our own group, UK Smokers. We still come under the watchful eye, and have plenty of support from our american cousins, but somethings are different in the UK and that's where the UK forum comes into it's own.  

We have members from both sides of the pond so it you post a question in the UK Forum, there is a good chance it will get answered from both the UK and the US.

If you click on the following link http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/groups/show/38/uk-smokers  this will take you to the UK section of the forum where you will find a group of like minded individuals in the UK who are into smoking.  

I look forward to seeing you there, and feel free to post on the UK forum.

texas.gif
  Good afternoon and welcome to the forum, from another sunny and hot day in East Texas and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Reactions: niallam
texas.gif

Good afternoon and welcome to the forum, from another sunny and hot day in East Texas and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Have a cousin in a town called Kerrville in Texas :)
Always shooting and cooking hogs

texas.gif

Lots of Hogs and game down there

Gary

First step completed on the new smoker so I'll be sure to start a new build thread :)

Last edited:
Hi nial! Welcome from Oregon! My grandpa was born and raised in Ireland though he passed when my dad was young so I never got to know him. I've always wanted to travel there, maybe someday!! Looking forward to pics of your new smoker!!

Patti

A BBQ in Ireland normally consists of a few burgers and burned chicken on a gas grill :D

But we're definitely famous for our drink lol

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky