New Franklin Style Smoker Build, A Few Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sterling1776

Original poster
Dec 11, 2017
I am going to be working with a welder (person, not tool) to build a 250 gallon propane tank smoker very similar to what Aaron Franklin does on his PBS show BBQ with Franklin, Episode 4: The Pits. I will also be having a trailer built for the smoker. I did have a few questions regarding some specifics, as the video is not super technical. (Note: I have used Feldon's calculator, but obviously Franklin's smokers do not follow that math to say the least. I am trying to get a Franklin style smoker, not a mathematically "correct" smoker.)

For the smokestack, I can't decide between a 6" or 8" pipe. I figure because the cook chamber is a 250 gallon propane tank, the 6" is probably the way to go, about 6 feet tall. I want a good draft, but not too strong. I have also thought about using an 8" pipe about 5 feet tall. Thoughts?

For the trailer, I'm thinking a 3500 lb axle on a 4 foot wide trailer should be sufficient. On a lot of these smaller trailer smokers, it seems like the firebox is fairly close to the ground. Does anyone have experience getting one of these over a curb or something like that?

It will have 2 doors, and I want a cooking grate all the way across, right at the lateral center line (15", assuming the tank is 30" diameter), then 2 removable grates about 8" above the main grate, leaving about 5" vertically for the second shelf. For the main grate, what sort of increments do you recommend to make sure it is fairly seamless all the way across but still easy to remove through the doors?

I'd like the grease drain to be towards the firebox, as I figure the trailer hitch will generally be the higher side.

Does anyone happen to have a picture of their baffle on this style of smoker?

Those are all of the questions I can think of for now, I'm sure there will be more. Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
32495D0A-52DF-4595-B726-CDD05013A1B8.jpeg
Hey Sterling,

I just got finished building (had someone build it for me but I designed it) and it’s in Franklin style.
I have a 6inch diameter smoke stack that’s 51 inches tall so I think you’re good there.
For the baffle I had the guy cut a rectangle piece of 1/4 inch sheet and weld over the entrance from firebox to cook chamber. Here is a pic. Hope that helps. Let me know if you any other questions.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky