New Dyna-Glo vertical offset smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You can't see well where the metal screws or where the molding is . Blends well. Did it get painted yet?
How will that stay waterproof? Is that gonna get soggy?

Last edited:
The metal frame is screwed to the cabinet.  That's what holds the insulation in place.  

First I bend the angle into the proper picture-frame shape, drill 1/8-inch hole in the angle, then use self-drilling/self-tapping screws to attach frame to smoker cabinet.
The last step, which is entirely optional, was to cover the angles, gaps, seams, etc. with foil tape; thus blocking any airflow in & around the insulation (too prevent heat loss).
--FR

Sounds good, thanks for the reply. I just picked up the wide set version and being in Minnesota, I think I would definitely need to insulate it (pretty thin metal) if I want to run it in the winter at all. I have an Acorn which works great in the cold but it has very limited cooking space.

You can't see well where the metal screws or where the molding is . Blends well. Did it get painted yet?
How will that stay waterproof? Is that gonna get soggy?
It was painted afterwards, flat black.  As for waterproofing, I do store it undercover.  However, one of the additional benefits of the mineral wool is that it's free-draining (doesn't hold water).  That's why it's so popular in rainscreen cladding systems.  That said, I never plan to let get it wet.

--FR

Sounds good, thanks for the reply. I just picked up the wide set version and being in Minnesota, I think I would definitely need to insulate it (pretty thin metal) if I want to run it in the winter at all. I have an Acorn which works great in the cold but it has very limited cooking space.
Let us know how it works out!

Just finished up prepping my new wide set last night and a big thanks to everyone who has posted on here, got some great tips and mod advice.

I had quite few obvious gaps through out the body of the smoker, mainly between the chamber and fire box as many others have stated. I used some high temp food grade silicone for the gaps and anywhere there was a screw and used nomex strips to seal up the fire box door. Probably went a bit overboard with the silicone but figured I would rather use too much than not enough. I put an ultra bright led lamp in it and turned off all the lights, pretty sure I have every possible area sealed up.

One area I sealed that I didn't see suggested on here was the drip pan hole. I usually clean my smoker after every run and use a drip pan that I can set on the ground. I just took a small chunk of steel that was leftover after adding a baffle and put it over the hole and sealed it with silicon. Figured if I'm not gonna use it might as well close up one more spot for air to come through.

Gonna season it tonight to check temps and to do a burn off so hopefully I can do a cook this long weekend.

My sister owns a Dyna-Glo Offset Smoker and it surely is worth the money. We use it when we have large gatherings , which frequently happen at her place!! Its large cooking space is perfect for such large crowd! owing to its height, i notice that it uses lesser coal as compared to others.

Firebox air damper was becoming a PITA, so dug into my pack rat box of s-crap at work and finished this up this morning. Real back saver for me and after it gets mounted to cart should work even better with no bending over at all. Next on the list,
secondary upper air intakes.

Upper air vents done. Two 1" nipple w/caps for now, gonna hit flea market for some seasoned older stlye gate/globe valves. While tools were out, got rid of temporary baffle and fabbed one out of some 1/8" scrap with an end support.

Wish I had found this forum before I put mine together. Oh well,... lol

Took it apart, sealed it and put it back together.   Took about 36 hours for seal to fully cure.    

Followed instructions for seasoning it, but initially couldn't get heat off 350.    So I put in a water pan, and heat came down to 240ish and stayed there for 2.5 hours.  

However, I couldn't tell if/where leaks were as charcoal didn't put off any/enough smoke.

Once it cooled off, I redid fire (layer of charcoal, 4 softball sized soaked chunks of hickory, another hefty layer of charcoal).  Once top layer of charcoal burned down (fuel off)m I added 3 more pieces of soaked Hickory to top of fire.   Once smoke got rolling so I could find leaks (2 on smokebox door) and I made sure heat was steady, I loaded it up.   

I have 2 Cornish hens at back of top rack behind the 3 potatoes.  

next rack down are 4 chicken breasts.   

2 hours in, I put in some whole garlic on middle rack and  bacon wrapped mushrooms on bottom rack.   

Fingers crossed.   My first time with a "smoker".    Will post after comments once finished and sampled.  

Last edited:
Ok well I got my wide body smoker in and put together. I've cooked on it 3 times. First time I smoked 1 rack of baby back ribs and put 10 lbs of leg quarters on later. Second time I did 2 racks of baby back ribs and 27 chicken legs. On my third smoke, I did 6 racks of ribs. I trimmed spares down to st Louis style and also smoked the rib tips as well as the flap of meat I trimmed off from underneath. The smoker was pretty full on that one. It was very hard to get smoker up to temp. Wasn't getting much air flow. I had to eventually shim the SC door at the top and had a small crack there and started getting better temps. Wrapped meat at 140° and after that, the temp came up to what it needed to be at. Temp stayed there for right at another 2 hours. I added wood periodically before I wrapped the meat, but didn't add anything after I wrapped it all. Didn't even have to touch the smoker until right at the end. Smoker temp started falling right at 188 internal temp so I added a piece of wood and a few pieces of lump. Ribs were heavenly

You can see in the background my old smoker. It's much heavier and much thicker gauge steel, but even after sealing that one up it doesn't hold temps like this one does. Absolutely amazed by it.

I just bought the Dyna-Glo 36" vertical charcoal smoker, no offset. I figured it was time to upgrade from my cheap Char-Broil horizontal offset after learning/playing around with it all summer.

Seems like a great deal on Amazon, really looking forward to it coming. Unfortunately, shipping as backed up due to the recent hurricane (Irma) so the earliest arrival date is 11 days from now even though it was Prime. Oh well, gives me a ton of time to read through this thread and do some research on these Dyna-Glo smokers. I already have the high-temp silicone ready to go for when I assemble it.

I went with the straight vertical setup as opposed to the offset model because even though I had fun modding my cheap horizontal offset (added a metal baffle to even out the smoke/temp), I still had some trouble/frustration keeping the temperature consistent. Now, I know the fact that my Char-Broil's walls are basically paper thin doesn't help. But after talking to a few people, it seems that straight vertical is the easiest way to go for consistency. Does anyone have experience with both?

Last week I was able to experiment with wide dyna smoker.
In particular cold smoking with amnps and pellets. And using it as an electric smoker.
With temp outside 70F and lit up pellets only, inside temp was around 90F.
I also got from Amazon some small electric grill and 1650W rated temperature controller which end up being very accurate and kept temperature within 3 degrees up and down.
Using this combination I was able to easily maintain 180F smoker temperature.
I am now planning to add second controller and second electric grill to be able to get temp to 250F.
Duck breasts, salmon and pork belly all came out great))

Last edited:
New to smoking got this smoker from Home Depot. Got the Nomex tape a lot of you recommended for sealing the doors, by now I have a problem getting the doors to close because the tape is in the way. Is there something I am missing or should I just switch to the RTV like many of you have done.

Hey all. Someone posted these earlier in the forum and they did not post the name of these fire/kiln bricks. I can not for the life of me find them online... Thanks in advance peeps!!

Attachments

• 20170403_171224.jpg
    20170403_171224.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 134
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky