New at smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sofiasbigpop

Original poster
Oct 8, 2016
Hello all from Maryland. My kids back in the spring bought me a new Weber Smokey Mountain 18 inch smoker that I just started smoking meats on. I'm not used to smoking meats but all I can tell you is that since I've started I can't stop smoking. I am definitely a novice at this but started to cook ribs, chicken wings, and a pork shoulder and although I have made a few mistakes but am beginning to fine-tune my cooking by reviewing different recipes on line. I am hoping that in joining this formum that I can get some great suggestions to enhance and smoke meats for my friends and family that I can be very proud of. I am originally from South Carolina and my son and I just started to hunt up here in the mid Atlantic. I can't wait to smoke some geese that we recently shot but I really have no idea how to smoke something like that or even if it is feasible. So for now I just introduced myself and can't wait to start going through this formum and finding great hints and tips about how to cook these wonderful meats.

It is an addictive "hobby" for sure.

As far as smoking birds you definitely want to use a more mild wood like pecan or cherry, and even apple. I like to use apple when I smoke a bird. I also go a little higher on the Temps too, around 275 to firm up the skin a bit.

Welcome to SMF!

Glad to have you aboard!

That WSM 18.5 is a great smoker.

A lot of guys on here use them, me included!

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky