New AMNTS Oval tube will burn Dave's Coarse Pellet Dust

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I can report back that yes, the new A-maze-N Oval tube does burn Dave's crushed pellet dust very nicely. After microwaving it 6 minutes (2 minute intervals then stirring) to dry, I used a paper plate as a funnel to pour the dust into the oval tube. Some did fall out, maybe 1%... I just took the paper plate the oval was on to catch over spill and poured it back into the tube. I packed it good with a knife steel and kept filling until it would not take anymore. Lit it with a torch, let it burn and blew it out. placed it in the bottom of my smokehouse and nice TBS rolling out the vents. Started it @ 5:30am....lets see how long she rolls...

Last edited:
Keith....this is some great info for those that are looking to get into cold smoking, especially cheese where temps need to stay very low. Thanks for sharing.

Robert

Reactions: indaswamp
Well, it has been 2 hours so I opened the smoke chamber door to check the burn rate on the dust... It is between 1/4 and 1/3 consumed. Should go about 7 hours on a full, packed tight, oval of dave's coarse pellet dust. Perfect.

Reactions: Walchit
Keith....this is some great info for those that are looking to get into cold smoking, especially cheese where temps need to stay very low. Thanks for sharing.

Robert
I give credit to Dave....He gives credit to Mr. T....
I just experimented with the dust in the new oval and it works....

"No problem Robert....It's how I roll...."

Yes it is, and "how you roll" is the personification of so many things that are so good about this forum: people voluntarily sharing experience to help others through the learning curve. Fortunately I have the equipment and having learned what I needed to know from SMF, I had that aspect under control. My comment was primarily for the benefit of others who may not be so sure how to go about cold smoking and/or what equipment to use. Certainly others can learn from this.

Robert

That's cool that the dust burns so much cooler than pellets in the tube... Good test and good find.... Now folks can have a cooler smoker for cold smoking stuff.....

......... 1 thumbs up.jpg

My smokehouse is 36cu.ft......so I imagine a much smaller MES will get hotter with either. The large volume will definitely help with cold smoking.

Got 6.5~7 hours of good clean TBS. Awesome. When this batch of BBB is finished curing and equalizing, I plan for 3~4 nights of 7 hours TBS with a rest in the refrig. in between.

Trial run #2 underway...

I found a 2' piece of 3/8" rebar in the garden stuff (use them for stakes) and used that to really pack the dust in tight. I poured about two inches up the tube, then would pack it down tight. I got 2.5 plastic 16 ounce cups of dust in the tube. I may be able to get 8 hours of smoke packed tight; which would be great because my plan is to roll cold smoke to the BBB at night (higher humidity-better for cold smoking, colder temps-better for cold smoking) while I sleep then refrigerate between smokes. Plan on 3~4 nights of smoke because I am a smoke hound like Bear.......

Last edited:
5 hours in on test #2, less than 2/3 of the dust in the tube has been used up. Pack it tight as you can and you should get 8 hours of good clean TBS.

IMG_20190303_203954.jpg

You can see the TBS rising off the tube.

Oh- one more thing....packing the tube with the rebar smashes the pellets up so no need to really try and get the pellets all broken up before hand after wetting and drying... get most of them and call it good...no need to spend a lot of time on it...packing them in the oval will take care of it.

Last edited:
Just over 9 hours of smoke from the Oval filled with Dave's coarse pellet dust. Impressive. I think I will start with 2 smoke sessions over two nights and do a fry test to check the smoke...might be enough. I'm excited....Hurry up and cure little buckies!!! LOL!!!

Did another trial run tonight with Cherry, Apple, Maple blend pellet dust. I've cooked a lot with both Apple and cherry over the years, but never maple. I wanted to smell the smoke. I'm using pitboss blend of 50% maple, 25% apple, 25% cherry. Made coarse dust with it and packed tight in the oval. I also put a grate over top of the oval and placed a gallon ziplock of cool water in the grate above the smoke to test for creosote. 6 hours in I checked it, no sticky feel to the bag and a very light yellow tint. Perfect.
I know that the dust in the Oval burns such that it maintains a glowing red ember a little larger than the size of a charcoal briquette (I stopped half way through a burn, dug out the burnt dust to check it, and the glowing ember fell out), which is plenty hot enough to get a good clean burn. I'll tell ya, I was expecting to get some creosote...and I am impressed with dust in this oval.

Last edited:
A-MAZE-N DUST cannot be used with the A-MAZE-N TUBE SMOKER

A quote from their web site. I guess there must be a difference between sawdust and your homemade pellet dust?

A-MAZE-N DUST cannot be used with the A-MAZE-N TUBE SMOKER

A quote from their web site. I guess there must be a difference between sawdust and your homemade pellet dust?
Yes, there is a difference. I am using Dust made from pellets. I call it "Dave's coarse pellet dust". He started a thread on it couple 3-4 months ago. put pellets in a bowl, add hot water a little at a time and watch the pellets expand. mash them with a spoon. Add just enough hot water to break them up, keep them as dry as you can. Spread out on a foil lined cookie sheet and bake in oven (or smoker when hot smoking if you have the room) 270* for 2 hours or so....

The coarse dust works beautifully in the oval....but ya gotta pack it tight....8~9 hours clean TBS....

My thought is that dust would probably work in the tube for cold smoking but could catch fire if hot smoking but Todd is likely playing it safe/CYA. Hard to please everyone. indaswamp indaswamp Are you gonna try hot smoking with it? I plan to make some dust soon and compare to Todd's dust and then someday try hot smoking with it. I think @TomKnollRFV converted to all dust recently and that has piqued my interest.

I would try using the dust in the tube below 160, then when smoke is done, crank up the heat.. Of course, that's for cured meat only... or, whole muscle meats due to the meat being sterile on the inside....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky