New 22 inch WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yohan

Original poster
Jun 8, 2016
Owatonna, MN
Just bought a new WSM, got it assembled and today am seasoning it. I notice a lot of smoke coming out between the lid and the body. I called Weber and a girl told me it will stop leaking smoke after a couple of uses. Is she right? Is it normal for it to leak smoke>  Thanks.

Yea it's normal. No problem.

I have 3 WSM's & they are one of the best smokers you can buy for the price.

After a few smokes the smoker will seal itself up.

Al

Yep, pretty soon it will get to the point where you won't be able to get the lid off without a good tug. That's when you know it's seasoned properly!

I like my 18.5" I used a gasket on the door and lid I think I could have saved the money to buy more meat

You will love it good luck post some pics of your smokes

Richie

Thanks for all the replies! After the seasoning, I tried something I had never done before, I smoked hamburgers. I used Mesquite. Probably longer than I needed (1 hr, 20 min), but they came out great, The only thing missing were the grill marks from my kettle. Someone told me that I should have used that at the end. Anyway, after some adjusting, it held at 240 degrees and I never had to add charcoal. Amazing machine. 

texas.gif
  Good afternoon and welcome to the forum, from another sunny and hot day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Thanks for all the replies! After the seasoning, I tried something I had never done before, I smoked hamburgers. I used Mesquite. Probably longer than I needed (1 hr, 20 min), but they came out great, The only thing missing were the grill marks from my kettle. Someone told me that I should have used that at the end. Anyway, after some adjusting, it held at 240 degrees and I never had to add charcoal. Amazing machine. 

When I'm using one of my smokers to do low and slow I normally fire up my kettle to sear. Either at beginning of smoke or end! If you want another cool toy check out a Vortex (you can search on this site). Vortex will work for your WSM or kettle!

Have fun!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky