Never quit (Brisket)

Discussion in 'Beef' started by dockman, Oct 5, 2013.

1. dockman

dockman Smoking Fanatic

I was all geared up for a bbq contest today but it was canceled. The brisket was thawed so just as well smoke it. I have struggled with brisket in the past but you guys always say never quit! For the brisket (15 #) I used McCormick Peppercorn & Garlic marinade which I injected and poured over it the night before. For rub I smeared on a little mustard the rubbed with Montreal Steak and some Steak salt. Pre heated my MES40 to 230 and lit the hickory/cherry pellets once up to temp in went the brisket. I also trimmed all the fat off before marinading and have it place on rack above my brisket. Brisket went in the smoker about 8 am.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. billbo

billbo Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looking good so far!

3. webowabo

webowabo Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Good looking start.. cant wait to so it done ;):grilling_smilie:

4. I'm just envious of your trimming skills. When I trim I end up with a bunch of scraps of fat, not a nice big layer like that!

5. dockman

dockman Smoking Fanatic

Thank you! However I did not think I done a very good job. It took me about an hour.

6. dockman

dockman Smoking Fanatic

Flipped brisket after 3 hours so fat could drip on both side.
    [​IMG]

7. dockman

dockman Smoking Fanatic

Put probe in at the 5 hour 20 minute mark temp is 152.

8. s2k9k

s2k9k AMNPS Test Group

Looking really Good!!

9. dockman

dockman Smoking Fanatic

Coming out of stall! Brisket is looking really good.

10. dockman

dockman Smoking Fanatic

Had decent flavor but pretty dry and the flat is hard. Maybe I cooked to long? IT 205

11. dockman

dockman Smoking Fanatic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. dockman

dockman Smoking Fanatic

Warmed some brisket up for my dinner tonight. I think I need to reevaluate my thoughts this thing is pretty darn good.