need suggestions

Discussion in 'Meat Selection and Processing' started by jamesedw1, Jan 27, 2015.

1. jamesedw1

jamesedw1 Fire Starter

I'm smoking a pork shoulder for superbowl and I'm just curious what would chips you would use? I'm thinking apple just because apple wood chips are my favorite to use just curious what you all use

2. shaggy91954

shaggy91954 Meat Mopper

Apple is what I prefer to use as well.  Hickory is second choice.

3. welshrarebit

welshrarebit Master of the Pit

I like kiawe and/or guava...

*ducks and runs for the door*

4. timberjet

timberjet Master of the Pit

Apple, Hickory, Cherry, Pecan..... never tried pecan but everybody else on here loves the heck out of it so I will be getting some. I did my last one with mostly apple and a little hickory for the last few hours and it was awesome. I actually froze most of it for superbowl weekend.

5. jamesedw1

jamesedw1 Fire Starter

I want to try Pecan chips but I can't find any anywhere. I might have to order them online

6. If there's a Cabela's near you, they carry pecan chips and chunks.

7. timberjet

timberjet Master of the Pit

Hey one of the guys posted me a link last night I will see if I can find it.

8. welshrarebit

welshrarebit Master of the Pit

I bought some pecan and cherry pellets from Todd but I haven't used them yet.

9. jamesedw1

jamesedw1 Fire Starter

Amazon is a great place to get stuff for smoking meats!

10. I switch it up. Apple and hickory are my fall back to as they are always good.

Happy smoken.

David

11. mdboatbum

mdboatbum Master of the Pit OTBS Member

If apple is your favorite then that's what you should use. I happen to really like pecan, as I feel like it falls right in the sweet spot of what I like. Apple is a little light for pulled pork, and hickory is a little too strong. I also really like cherry on things like pork loin and chicken, but I feel like it kinda gets lost on pulled pork.