Need suggestions on smoking a turkey breast **Updated with Q-View**

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

biged92

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 23, 2012
Huntington Beach, California
I bought a 3 and half pound Foster Farms turkey breast portion at the market today on sale.  The turkey breast portion is half a turkey breast with the skin, and part of the rib and back bone included.  It is shaped much like a bone in chicken breast would be.

since I am new to the smoking world, I have yet to tackle a turkey breast. My initial thoughts were to brine it overnight, throw some poultry rub on it, and smoke it at around 225.  The question I have is, since the turkey is not boneless, nor is it netted, it lays pretty flat.  Should I smoke it in a pan with some sort of liquid to keep it from drying out?  Or should I just throw it on the rack and letr' cook?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Last edited:
I would say if you brine it overnight, put it on and let it smoke. Be sure to keep a check on the internal temp so it doesn't overcook. Take it to 165 IT then let it rest for 15-20 mins before cutting. Good luck and take some pics!

Mike

I brine mine overnight and that seems to be one of the main secrets to  a good moist smoked turkey. I smoke mine at 225 degrees. Internal temp is pretty critical on turkey. Ten degrees too much will sure make for a dry turkey. I wouldn't go over 165 degrees. I pull mine at 160 degrees then foil, towel, and rest. There are discussions on the minimum safe temp to cook turkey's. I like to coat my turkey breast with melted butter before putting the rub on. Helps my rub stick better. 

Bigeyed ,welcome to to SMF , a good choice for a quick smoke. If you don't have a probe therm. borrow or but on at a local Target , Home Depot , Lowe's , or what ever...
beercheer.gif

Now , I'm doing one today and invite you to pull up a chair and grab some Popcorn and drink , to watch the show
biggrin.gif

I like to post pics and explain what is going on in my Smoker.

You did one of the best things with Brining , so hang on and watch,,,

Stan   aka    oldschool

Have fun and...

I like to brine my turkey with some cinnamon sticks and bay leaves and whole peppercorns, since it has the bone in and skin on, I agree, I wouldn't smoke it at too high of a temp, but if your still worried about drying it out - try sliding some strips of bacon in between the skin and meat! Adds some flavour, and helps keep in the moisture! And of course the bacon is delicious after!

Hope it works for you! and Post some pics!

I was thinking the same thing for this weekend.  Not sure what I will do yet.  Maybe try two, wrap one in bacon and maybe the other just more typical rub and smoke, or maybe add prosciutto about half way in since that dries easy.  Keep the suggestions coming though because I really have an open mind with this one.  OP, what wood were you thinking?  I am thinking aabout going with Apple, worked well when I did a whole turkey last year.  Anyways good luck!

Thanks for all of the suggestions and help.  Here are the pictures from the prep and the cook,

Turkey pulled from the brine that it sat in overnight and dried with a paper towel.  I used the

Slaughterhouse Poultry Brine By Tip Piper of Hillbilly Vittles Recipe I found on this forum.

a376d42b_IMG-20120520-00180.jpg

Next I seperated the the skin from the turkey breast, and trimmed all of the excess fat from both (similar to trimming chicken thighs).  I then gave a good coat of garlic powder and poultry rub front and back.  I picked up the recipe for the rub somewhere on the internet, I forget where, but it's good.

4daf4517_IMG-20120520-00181.jpg

Then I used the suggestion that SmokeGoddess gave, and wrapped the turkey in bacon.

dab482f5_IMG-20120520-00182.jpg

Next I put the skin back on the turkey, and gave it a thin coat of rub.  I also had some sweet and hot italian sausage in the fridge, so I set them up to go in the smoker as well.
44acc214_IMG-20120520-00191.jpg

I then got the smoker heated up to 275, and set the meat in the smoker.

70bf3c8e_IMG-20120520-00192.jpg

Once the meat was in the smoker the temp dropped to about 230 to 240, and settled.  Each hour I spritzed the turkey with Slaughterhouse Spritz that I found with the brine recipe.
d4cfa9bf_IMG-20120520-00195.jpg

After the 2 hour mark I turned up the smoker to about 275 to 300, and cooked it the rest of the way.  The sausages read 165 ay 2 hours, so they were pulled and placed in the oven foiled to keep warm.  At the 3.5 hour mark the meat hit 163 and I pulled it.  If only pictures could transmit the smells that were coming off this thing.  Mmmm.

489f8f22_IMG-20120520-00200.jpg

d0809b67_IMG-20120520-00201.jpg

I let the turkey rest for about a half an hour and then began to slice it.

bd0671f7_IMG-20120520-00202.jpg

This bird turned out awsome.  Very moist and flavorful.  What's left will be good for sandwiches tomorrow.  Thanks again to everone for their suggestions and help.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky