Need some help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

2bears

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
I am looking for exhaust pipe for 2 smokers

The first is a 120 gal LP RF FLOW on a cart and am looking for 5 or 6" pipe

The other is for my 500 gal LP tank on a trailer, looking for 8" pipe.

Any ideas on sources? I have checked at the scrap yards and locak steel shop and only came up with an 8" x 40" pipe that they wanted $120 for.

I know steel is high but am looking for OPTIONS to try and keep costs down.

Thanks

As your finding out theres no such thing as a piece of scrap metal. Just keep digging. When you drive by peoples houses or see there shops and see a bunch of metal lying around, stop and ask if they have any pipe they can sell. That would be your best bet.

Steel is expensive these days!  I feel i got lucky on my 6" stacker.... The guy sold me 12'  length (6' x2) for $85 and threw in a 90 degree elbow for another $30.  I feel i got a good deal on that.  I also went to the fab shop they had in the back and the guy had some "scraps"  they sold me for $.80 /lb.  He ended up loading two sheets of 6'x4' in the truck for me after i slipped him some extra money
biggrin.gif

OK I got some pipe for the exhaust stacks. FREE FREE FREE !!

4" x 6 foot for the 120 gallon and I have 2 options for the 500 gallon smoker.  How long should I cut the stack for this 120 gallon? it will have a 20" x 30" fire box.

# 1 for the 500 gallon -  is a 8" steel pipe that has an epoxy coating on it - not sure if I will need to burn it off or if I can leave it on.

# 2 for the 500 gallon -  is a 6" steel pipe - How long for the 6" stack for the 500 gallon? It will have a 20" x 36" fire box

Id like to go with the 8" but is it worth the hastle to get the epoxy off?

Should the stack come in and go down to the top grate?

Congrats on the freebies.......... If the pipe is not epoxy coated on the inside I would go ahead and use it.  Dont know what the epoxy is but when it reaches near its melting point is when it will become toxic. cut off a small piece and throw it in a fire and see if it will burn off.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky