Need some help/ideas for my next build pics...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which direction should I mount the firebox to the smoking chamber? (RF Build)

• As shown in the pic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • End to end

• Standing up on its end

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ballagh

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2006
Iowa
Getting ready to start my next build.  I have been collecting parts for a month or so now trying to figure out how I am going to put this thing together.  This will be for my patio, and will be my primary smoker for get togethers and parties.  I have three propane smokers that I still use and love, a Iowa Hawkeye UDS that I would put up against anything, and a 250 gallon Reverse Flow that is a monster.  Just wanting something a little smaller to use on the weekends and for smaller get togethers that will use wood as the primary fuel source, instead of charcoal or propane. 

Anyway, I am wanting to use this 55 gallon veggie oil drum on its side, and then use my craftsman 20 gallon air compressor as the firebox.  This will be another RF build.  I am trying to decide what will be the best and easiest way to frankenstien the two tanks together.  Either like it is pictured, or to do end to end, or to stand the compressor up on its end and hook it up that way.  I like the later way, but I think I would be a little cramped for getting wood in there, but putting the door in and mating the two tanks would be super easy.  I will build it just like my 250 RF as I love it and it runs like a dream.   Here are some pics of what I am working with.  Please share any thoughts and ideas.

bbd07633_b961dfff.jpg

Last edited:
I say end to end. And underneath. What are the lengths compaired to one another? You gonna have a stand on this or mounting it to something?

Yes it will be on a angle iron stand.  The dimensions are 55 gallon drum = 35" TALL X 23" WIDE, and the compressor tank is 32" LONG X 14" ACROSS.  I do plan on mounting it underneath the barrel and hook on to the bottom corner for the reverse flow. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky