Need some help getting that wonderful "bark" on some ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ghunt

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 18, 2014
Clarksburg WV
Hi everyone,

Haven't posted here in awhile, but I'm making a couple racks of ribs for a get-together we're having tomorrow evening.

Normally I "cheat" a little bit by smoking the ribs for a couple hours, then putting them in foil for 2-3 hours to make them tender.

I want to change it up this time, because I want the ribs to have that good bark on them and a little char. I feel like my ribs are never quite "it" and that is what they need.

So, I want to know what I need to do to make this happen. I have a chargriller duo with the smoker box. I have a bunch of hardwood lump, as well as some pieces of split cherry and oak.

A few years ago when I first got this grill, I tried to make a rack of ribs just straight smoking for 5 hours or so. They were tough, and just seemed-over smoked, and I did not care for them.

Could I put the ribs in foil for an hour or two, and then have them in the smoker the rest of the way to make them right? Do I need more direct heat? This thing is generally a pretty consistent 220-250 degrees when you get some good coals going in the firebox. I want them to be at least somewhat tender and I don't want them to be super-smoky which I feel like they often do.

Also, on the duo the smoker box connects to the charcoal side of the grill, so I also have the option of putting some charcoal in there if that would serve any purpose. Just throwing ideas out there, any advice is welcome!

I'm a relative newb but I'll give this a shot. I am doing ribs this weekend so have read up quite a bit. I think your ticket is the 2-2-1 or 3-2-1 method depending on if you have babies or spare? This for example has you doing 2 hours unwrapped, 2 hours wrapped then that last hour unwrapped to stiffen that bark back up.

Mine are baby backs, forgot that part.

Well, maybe I could try that...seems like a lot of the time after 2 hours in the foil, they are starting to get tender enough to fall apart when you try to take them out of the foil. I guess I'll have to see.

From what I've read the 2-2-1 for baby backs is very common. Should work out well for you. Hope so because that's my plan tomorrow :)

Last edited:
I smoke baby backs for 4 hrs at 225-250 without opening the lid.  Then I will add sauce or not, and continue smoking until they bend when lifting one end of the rack with tongs.  It usually takes 4-5 hrs total.  SmokinAl has a :perfect ribs everytime" link at the bottom of all his posts.  Check it out, he goes by 195 IT on the ribs.

Mike

you could always make the ribs the way you have been and sear them off on the Gas side of the Duo. Couple of minutes a side...JJ

Thi works too...

So I forgot to post back in this, but I did what you guys recommended- 2-1-2. Ribs came out fantastic!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky