Need opinions on a smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daddyzaring

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2009
I found this smoker on Craigs list, and wanted to get some more experienced opinions. They're only asking $1000, and I am planning on asking if they'll work out payments with me, if you guys think it is worth it.
Here are the pictures that were emailed to me of it.

It looks pretty good size, and may need a little work, and definately cleaned up some, but for the price I thought it sounded like a pretty good deal.
It isn't exacly what I want, but it would definately get me by until I could find what I want, or make it like I want.

daddyzaring;482936 said:
I found thi smoker on Craigs list, and wanted to get some more experienced opinions. They're only asking $1000, and I am planning on asking if they'll work out payments with me, if you guys think it is worth it.
Here are the pictures that were emailed to me of it.

It looks pretty good size, and may need a little work, and definately cleaned up some, but for the price I thought it sounded like a pretty good deal.
It isn't exacly what I want, but it would definately get me by until I could find what I want, or make it like I want.[/quote]

If it isn't what you want I wouldn't spend a thousand dollars on it, just wait until you find what you want.

Just my Opinion.

Well my biggest problem is the money, If they could take payments, which I know I'd be extremely lucky if they, or anyone would.
What I am really wanting is something like this, but also with a verticle smoker. The closes thing to what I'd like to have runs $2000-$4000. Something like this,

Plus I figure If I clean it up, and fix it up a bit, I could surely make a little profit off of it, if I decided I really didn't like it.

It's not easy though, I am majorly addicted to smoking, I need something bigger and better than what I got, and can't stand waiting for that next fix. lol
icon_sad.gif

I went ahead and asked about making payments, I figure I can always back out even if she agrees.

#1 What do you think the unit weighs?
scrap metal sells for currently for $100 per ton
So scrap metal prices it is worth approx $100.
#2 One axle trailers sell for about $800 dollars
#3 Is that a sink mounted on the trailer?
three compartment sinks used approx $200
or is it a steam table used approx $500
#4 Home made smokers are scrap metal until you cook on it
if the builder was an experienced smoker it might be a jewel
if the builder had a bad dream it is scrap metal

Considering the trailer alone is probably worth most of the purchase price it may be a good deal. The trailer has a surge brake, what else does it have. How are the tires wiring, etc.

What are the add ons on trailer? sink? steam table?
What are add on's value ?
What do you really want?
I would buy some ribs and have the owner show you how it works.

IMO, it looks like an amateur build. I wouldn't pay 1G for it. I'd low ball an offer, say 600 bucks, and see what happens. Given the fact that it looks like crap with all the rust and all the junk around it.

if the trailer is included the $1000 is fair but unless you got skills to fix it that pit by itself is not worth $1000 IMO, you could get a custom built brand new steel kitchen style pit nearly that big from this guy for the same $1000.

www.bellfab.com/

It includes the trailer, and everything on it (http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/1705392827.html).

Even if I could get the same thing new from Bellfab, I doubt they'd take payments, plus if they're not near me the shipping would probably suck.
I am still undecided, but with the opinions I am getting so far it's looking like I probably won't get it. Which feels kind of sucky, I really would like to find something bigger and better than the cheap charbroil offset, and little bitty electric smoker/roaster.
icon_sad.gif

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
WHAT WILDFLOWER SAID!

Make payments to yourself. If what you have isn't big enough, go buy a lower end smoker from one of the chain stores to get you over the hump.

The way that thing looks, you'll be trying to figure out how to get it to work right for about as long as it will take to save up your bucks for something that really trips your trigger.

Dirt Guy is right, first what do you want such a rig for any way? You haven't said a word about catering, however it is sort of obvious if you bought this rig that would be the direction your heading. But if you can't afford the $1000, can you afford to buy the wood it takes to heat that monster or the meat, let alone the $500+ it may cost you to repair the thing?

Make payments to yourself it great advice. If you have the wherewithal to repair that hunk of ????, then you have the ability to build a dozen UDS smokers make em look real pretty and sell them on Craigslist, then you would have most of the money you need.

Well saving money (making payments to myself) isn't something we're to good at, Having 3 younger children, and living paycheck to paycheck with only my wife's income (me being disabled) makes it rather tough.
I really enjoy cooking, it's probably the one thing I am best at doing, and I love bbqing/smoking (it helps get me out of this house). I am a big cooker, I always cook lots of or more food than needed (left overs are always good IMO), I come from a large family, and I like cooking for them, and seeing people happy with what they're eating. I have thought about the idea of catering, but I have been thinking more about competing sometime in the future. So I am really wanting to get something so I can take a few years practicing, and getting ready to do that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky