Need info

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cindy s

Original poster
Nov 12, 2016
New to smoking, I rubbed and marinated a 11-lb brisket for approx 6 hours (ran out of time). Going to smoke for 12 hrs while I sleep. Couple of ?'s

1. I'm adding wood chips but I will be sleeping so will it be ok if I do not add more chips every hour?

2. When smoking is done after 12-hrs, do I remove the brisket from smoker and cover with foil and leave out? I will not be cutting it until four hrs AFTER smoking.

3. Best slicing method? It still has fat on it for flavor while smoking.

First off welcome to the forum!

When you get a chance swing by "Roll Call" & introduce yourself.

That way we can all give you a proper welcome!

As for your brisket I would try to get at least 4-5 hours of smoke on it before you stop adding chips.

Also you are smoking it to temp, not time.

A brisket will be done at an IT of 195 to 205, or until a probe or toothpick goes in with little to no resistance.

Just like room temp butter.

We usually figure about 1 1/2 to 2 hours per pound to get done, with the smoker running at 225.

So you are looking at 16-20+ hours of cook time.

Good luck!

Al

Thank you! Yes it does have a thermometer probe in it. I am cooking to temp. I was late to bed and early to rise to keep adding chips. Now, once done do I wait until smoker is cool to remove meat? Once removed should I put it in foil and place in kitchen oven to rest/set for a few hours? And...when I slice it, do I remove the big portion of fat and then slice? I like others smoked it with all the fat on it for flavor.

If it is done before you are ready to eat, wrap in foil and place in a 150°F Oven until you are ready. Trim as much fat as you want, I leave 1/4", slice pencil thick across the grain and serve. If the oven does not go that low, pull and foil at 195 regardless of tenderness, wrap in towels and go in a cooler. It will finish cooking and hold hot about 4 hours...JJ

Welcome from Oklahoma.  I might be a little late posting this, but here is my take.  As usual each one of us has opinions that may differ slightly, but in general they are very similar.

I agree at 225 you are going to be 20+ hours for an 11 ponder to get to at least a 195 minimum IT.  Most anything less will give you a tough dry tasting brisket.  I did that for years before finding this site thinking I was overcooking.  Wrong.

We just sprinkle a slightly modified version of Jeff's rub on just before putting in the smoker and plugging it in.  I have a Smoke-it 2 Electric.

I put wood chips to keep smoking to at least 150, after that it seems to make little difference to me.

As soon as I hit my 195-200 IT, I start poking with a probe, some chunks of meat need more, everyone is different.  You want it to feel like warm butter.  Then I wrap in foil and put it in a towel lined ice chest (cooler) for a minimum of 2 hours.  By accident I had to leave one almost 5 hours one time and it was still hot to handle when I took it out.

Be aware of the stall about 160-170, not uncommon for it to sit at that temp for an hour or two before rising again even though your smoker is still at 225.

I slice with a standard butcher knife, and get mostly slices and some shreds, but it all tastes good.

Practice makes perfect.  Keep practicing.  Good luck to you.

Last edited:
Thank you! Well after 12 hrs smoking, 3hrs in foil and a towel in a dry cooler it turned out very dry!! I was disappointed. I know this is a learning process. So now I mive on to smoking turkeys. Any advice on those?

Thank you! Well after 12 hrs smoking, 3hrs in foil and a towel in a dry cooler it turned out very dry!! I was disappointed. I know this is a learning process. So now I mive on to smoking turkeys. Any advice on those?
What temp did you pull it at? Was it probe tender, meaning did a probe or toothpick go in multiple places like room temp butter?

Sounds to me like it was undercooked.

As for the turkey, here is one I did a couple of days ago.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/254111/smoked-a-21-turkey-in-3-1-4-hours-on-the-lang

Maybe this will give you some ideas.

Good luck!

Al

What temp did you pull it at? Was it probe tender, meaning did a probe or toothpick go in multiple places like room temp butter?

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/254111/smoked-a-21-turkey-in-3-1-4-hours-on-the-lang

Good luck!

Al

I pulled it at 190 temp. I tried a couple spots for softness and it went in very easily. But again, it was my first time so I wasn't sure what I was doing.

Good luck!

Al

I pulled it at 190 temp. I tried a couple spots for softness and it went in very easily. But again, it was my first time so I wasn't sure what I was doing.
190 is pretty low for brisket, I don't even start checking for tenderness until about 195, sometimes they are done then, but most times they will go to 200-205 to get to probe tender.

You are right it is a learning experience, and the more experience you get, the easier it will be.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky