Need Ideas !

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin skip

Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
Oxford Pa.
We are having a huge party at work over the holdays with lots of beef in one pit and plenty of pork . Im going to fill half of my smoker with ABTs
(about 4 dozen ) and I'm lookin for some ideas for an appetizer - finger type food for the other half of the smoker . Any ideas ? Your input would be appreciated.
Skip

How about some smoked chicken livers?
Wrap a chicken liver and a water chestnut with a 1/2 slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick. Place in smoker for 30 minutes at 250 degrees. Remove from smoker and finish cooking the wrapped chicken livers on a grill. Brush them with teriyaki sauce and continue to baste them to keep them moist. Be careful not to burn them because the sauce has a lot of sugar in it. Serve when chicken livers are done and have a nice shine to them.
wink.gif

i have two excellent dips to use, the first is really really good, the second is better.

first one i call buzzard's dip

(you can adjust quantities as you please)

1 fatty
2 packages cream cheese
1 can rotel tomatoes (with or without chillies)

i serve with the scoops corn chips

sounds simple but its goooooooddddddd

the next one is so good, i have yet to make it without someone begging me for the recipe. of course i tell them ill email it to them :roll:

i am going to post in another post for simplicity

South of the Border Spinach Cheese Dip

Serves 5

INGREDIENTS
•1 onion, chopped
•2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or olive oil, i use because its healthier)
•1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped
•1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
**or a can of rotel tomatoes with chilies**
•1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
•5-6 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese or pepper jack (my favorite)
•5-6 ounces Cheddar (your sharpness)
•**or just 10ounces Monterey Jack**
•1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
•1 cup half-and-half cream
•1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
•salt and pepper to taste
•I have added Garlic Powder with good results

DIRECTIONS

1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2.SautÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] onion in skillet over medium heat in oil until softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and chilies, let cook 2 minutes.
3.Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and stir in spinach, cheese, cream cheese, half and half, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon mixture into shallow baking dish like a 9 inch quiche dish or pie plate.
4.Bake in the preheated oven until the dip is bubbly and the top is light brown, about 35 minutes.

adjust quantities as needed this makes for about 4-5 males sitting around drinking.....probably a little more if in a social gathering.

yo jester buzzard ,

i think you should also post those dips on the side items thread..
buzzard dip will be tried this weekend.

dude--
are you going to replace that pic of you in author section
with the one of you in hat?? ??

You can always take some breakfast links, cut them in half and wrap each piece with a half a strip of bacon; skewer the whole thing with a toothpick and smoke 'em.

i like your idea Dutch, but i think im going to bread it and deep fry it!!!!mmmmm

larry, this is no way i could not change that pic. if i didnt someone else would break into my account and change it for me. which would be fine too.

Wow !!
Thanks fellas ! All of this stuff sounds great. Keep the ideas comin and we would have a little cookbook ! That dip sounds really good Buzzard !
So does the links Dutch.

Since the time I posted this I have discovered an amazing dish called "Dutches Wicked Beans".You may have heard of this remarkable recipe !! LOL .
Dutch, these beans are great !!!!!!! I think a big batch of these will go over great for this event. I have also discovered that bacon wrapped scallops with a touch of ginger are great when smoked. I may do a batch of these also.Thanx again fellas !!

Skip

Glad you enjoyed the beans Skip. Hope they weren't too "wicked" for ya!! 8)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky