Need help with cold smoking sauseges...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You will need 2- teaspoons of Cure #1 for 10 pounds of meat. You can combine all the seasoning and Cure, with any liquid in the recipe. Add to the COLD meat and mix well. When the meat gets sticky and pasty,..Mix some more! (Insurance). You can stuff at this point. For best result, refer rest, uncovered, 8 hours to overnight and Smoke. Start at 130°F, preferably No Smoke, for 1 hour to dry the casing real well, then start Smoking and increase the temp 10-15°F each hour, to no higher than 170°F. Smoke to an IT of 150°F. If running late, you can finish to 150 in a 165°F Waterbath, or a 150°F SV Bath for an hour or two. When done rinse in Cold Water to an IT of 70°F, cool to the touch, and Hang on a broomstick between 2 chairs to Bloom. Towel on the Floor, lest thee feel the Wrath of your significant other! An hour or so will do the trick. Refer until ready to eat. Freeze any you won't eat 5-7 days. That's it.☺...JJ

That is for hot smoking?
Anybody have recipes for cold smoking sausages?

Ok so Friday I got 10lb of pork shoulder. I mixed up with my seasonings for hungarian sausages and I add 2 teaspoons of cure1 salt...
Today I mixed again and stuffed sausages.
It is in this point already cured? I can put in smoker for cold smoking? I should wait until tomorrow?
I did last year hot smoking but now I wanna try cold smoking like they used to do it in Slovakia...
Anybody?

Adding Cure #1 to Fine Ground Meat cures nearly instantaneously. For more coarse ground, overnight gets the job done. You are Fully Cured at this point and can start Smoking.
Can you give more detail on what you mean by Cold Smoking? The term Cold Smoking, can refer to smoking at temps anywhere from 40 to 170°F. To have Cold Smoked Sausage, like Kielbasa, that is Ready to Eat, Cold Smoking is done between 130° and 170°F to smoke and Cook the meat to an IT of 150°F over Several Hours. Anything above 170°F is Hot Smoking and will Cook the Sausage to 140-150 in 4 hours or less, depending on temp...JJ

Yes, 2 days with the salt and cure#1, then stuffed and you are good to go. You can hold them until tomorrow and the meat paste in the casing will firm up some. Should be an excellent sausage.

In eastern European countries, cold smoking refers to smoking at temps below 71*F (some countries use 86*F). This allows for 100% smoke penetration as the meat says raw and does not cook. Typically the cold smoke process is used as a drying step for the creation of dried sausages. fire was used in cold climates to achieve optimum drying temps...the smoke just happens to come along with it, so it was drying in the presence of smoke. The smoke also has some antimicrobial properties and will prevent molds from growing.

Are you trying to make a dried product?

Thank you
I remember my grandpa was cold smoking in 40f-70f smoker temp...for 3 day.
I can't get receipt/he is not a here anymore...
Can I do same thing with what I got? And smoke for 2-3day in low temp?
Please

Thank you
I remember my grandpa was cold smoking in 40f-70f smoker temp...for 3 day.
I can't get receipt/he is not a here anymore...
Can I do same thing with what I got? And smoke for 2-3day in low temp?
Please

Yes, you can cold smoke 40f-70f smoker temp. for three days. But typically, the smoke process would not be continuous. Usually a rest period either during the night or during the day, depending on when the smoke process occurs. 12 hours of smoke, then a rest for 12 hours.

Do you remember the name of the sausage he made? That might help us narrow down the process you need to follow to recreate it.

What do you plan on doing with the sausage after smoking? Cook it? Freeze it as is? Or dry it?

I'm planning to put that in smoker now until 10pm and then put in refrigerator and continue smoking in morning.
We usually eat that as cold cuts with cheese.
I have a store about 15 miles from me/hungarian store and they have store made sausage...it's more dry sausage. That is what I'm trying to do...

I'll leave the Safe Drying Instructions to You, Swamp Bro!...JJ

I looked at the link you posted and it does not say how much salt is in the package. But it is a fresh sausage seasoning so it would be less than 3%...probably in the range of 1.5-2%.

Unless you use more than the direction say to use for fresh sausage, the sausage will not have enough salt in it. You must use 3% salt for a dry cured sausage without a starter culture that will not be cooked or pasteurized.

Does not say how much dextrose is in the mix either. You may get some fermentation and acid creation from the bacteria in the meat when handling.mixing and stuffing but the pH drop will take a while until the bacteria multiply enough to consume the dextrose.

If you still have the package, please post the salt content and how many pounds the package is to be used for.

I don't have package anymore but whole thing is for 25lb meat...

I grind meat from pork shoulder in vacuum sealed package....

Did you use the amount recommended on the package for 10# of meat? If so, You can cold smoke the sausages, but you will not be able to dry them the traditional way safely because the sausage does not have enough salt. You can eat them as a fresh sausage but you will have to cook them.

Or, you can warm smoke the sausages since you added cure which will cook and smoke all in one step, but you must refrigerate or freeze after smoking to be safe.

Maybe someone that uses seasoning mix from that company can comment...they might know how much salt is in it.

Like I mentioned, you can not use a fresh sausage seasoning mix for a traditional dry cured sausage without a starter culture unless you adjust the amount of seasoning you use so you have 3% salt in the mince.

Yes I used seasoning calculated for 10lb.
For how long I can smoke this thing?
I'm planning to smoke until 10pm tonight and then start again in morning... almost whole day if weather let me and then Monday afternoon when I come back from work...
Can I do that???
I'm planning to use that for cooking.
How long I can keep in fridge after smoking??? Or freezer???
Thank you

Yes, as long as you are cold smoking and not warm or hot smoking, then you can start again in the morning. If it is too cold outside, put the sausages in the refrigerator overnight after you finish smoking bu I recommend letting the sausage warm up from refrigerator temps. before applying more smoke. the cold sausages will condense moisture and give you a bitter smoke taste.

All good if you will be cooking the sausages. You can freeze after you finish cold smoking or they will keep in the fridge for about 7 -10 days.

Thank you for your help.
My smoker temp right now is 54*f.
If you have any recepie for sausages please let me know if you don't mind.
Maybe I can mix my own seasoning and not to buy premixed...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky