Need Help with Boston Butt and Pork Baby Backs in MES 40

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rabbithutch

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
I've decided on my rub and I'm gonna brine one of the 2 butts.  I think I'm good on the meat prep but I need some guidance on the MES, the AMNPS and thermometers.  This is only the second smoke in the MES for me and it will be the first with the AMNPS and pellets.

AMNPS Pellets

Todd told me in an email that I should spritz the pellets with iso alcohol to help them start burning.  (At least that's what I remember and I can't call the email back because the laptop it was on crashed.)  Does this sound like the right approach?  I could soak 'em for a bit, but I don't want an alcohol taste or to burn the pellets to fast.  Also, how many pellets will it take for 2 boston butts?  Will I have to replenish the smoker basket?  How often?

Thermometers

The MES built in will be used and I have another thermometer on a cable so that I can read the digital readout without opening the door, but I've never used it with the MES.  Will the cable interfere with the door closing and the seal?  I'd like to use this for the second butt however I don't want to mess of the seal on the MES.

Temperatures

I've read here that 220 degrees is the right temperature setting for the smoker and that the butts should be up to 200 degrees with the thermometer probe for them to be done.  Is that right or should I cook at higher temp and expect a higher or lower probe value?

Smoke Time

Figuring an hour and half per pound for the cook time on the butts, does that mean that I should expect 2 of them to take twice as long?  If not, how much longer will it take to do 2 than one?  Also, how long should I let the cooked butts stand after they are removed from the smoker?

Butts and Ribs

I've got 2 butts and 4 baby back pork racks to smoke.  They will have the same rub, Jeff's.  Can I/should I do them in the same smoke or separately?  I assume that the ribs will cook a lot faster than the butts.  I don't think I can or should use a thermometer probe on the ribs, so how do I know if they are done?  I don't want to open the smoker door any more than I have to.

Thanks for taking the time to read such a long post.  This meat is to be prepared for family coming from out of state to attend our daughter's wedding.  They will be in Texas for about a week and will have to be fed.  Your guidance is much appreciated!!!!

rh

I've decided on my rub and I'm gonna brine one of the 2 butts.  I think I'm good on the meat prep but I need some guidance on the MES, the AMNPS and thermometers.  This is only the second smoke in the MES for me and it will be the first with the AMNPS and pellets.

AMNPS Pellets
Todd told me in an email that I should spritz the pellets with iso alcohol to help them start burning.  (At least that's what I remember and I can't call the email back because the laptop it was on crashed.)  Does this sound like the right approach?  I could soak 'em for a bit, but I don't want an alcohol taste or to burn the pellets to fast.  Also, how many pellets will it take for 2 boston butts?  Will I have to replenish the smoker basket?  How often? I think what he might have said was to just spritz the beginning of one row.. fill it up full, if your done cooking before they burn out then just separate them to stop the burn

Thermometers
The MES built in will be used and I have another thermometer on a cable so that I can read the digital readout without opening the door, but I've never used it with the MES.  Will the cable interfere with the door closing and the seal?  I'd like to use this for the second butt however I don't want to mess of the seal on the MES. I don't use an MES but I believe they are dropping the probe down threw the top vent.. An MES user will be along and correct me if I am wrong

Temperatures
I've read here that 220 degrees is the right temperature setting for the smoker and that the butts should be up to 200 degrees with the thermometer probe for them to be done.  Is that right or should I cook at higher temp and expect a higher or lower probe value? cook @ 225` and take IT (internal temp) up to 205` or so for pulling... wrap in HD foil around 165` to get temps up to 205` faster... or no foil for heavier bark...

Smoke Time
Figuring an hour and half per pound for the cook time on the butts, does that mean that I should expect 2 of them to take twice as long?  If not, how much longer will it take to do 2 than one?  Also, how long should I let the cooked butts stand after they are removed from the smoker? It will take a little longer with 2 at a time but not an hour and a half for total of the 2.. an hour and a half would be for the biggest one.. the smaller one getting done sooner... remove from smoker and wrap with HD foil and then a bunch of towels down inside a cooler for at least an hour... they will hold up to 6 hrs in the cooler

Butts and Ribs
I've got 2 butts and 4 baby back pork racks to smoke.  They will have the same rub, Jeff's.  Can I/should I do them in the same smoke or separately?  I assume that the ribs will cook a lot faster than the butts.  I don't think I can or should use a thermometer probe on the ribs, so how do I know if they are done?  I don't want to open the smoker door any more than I have to. for the ribs just do the 2-2-1 method (that way you don't have to open the door all the time, just when the time is up)... no, no therms in the ribs, just by time... If you can get them all in the MES you can do them all together... just do a search for the 2-2-1 method, you'll find hundreds of post

Thanks for taking the time to read such a long post.  This meat is to be prepared for family coming from out of state to attend our daughter's wedding.  They will be in Texas for about a week and will have to be fed.  Your guidance is much appreciated!!!!

rh

JcKDanis 07 gave you good advice.

You can drop the probe down thru the vent or thru the door, I have done it both ways and just go with the door now, it has not bothered my seals.

I agree  with him on the ribs, 2/2/1 (I usually do only a half hour for the last or sometimes not at all depending on the rub and what I'm putting on them)

You won't double your time, but you will prolong it a little.

Put the smaller butt on the left as they run a little hotter on the right.  ribs above the butts.

I'm taking my AMNPS on it's maiden voyage tomorrow so can't help you there.

Enjoy

icon_cool.gif

I would do like they said.

Check your cooking temps w/ your remote thermometer. The MES may say 220 but it may be 5-10 -15 degrees lower or higher.(usually lower).

Once you know it is x amount lower or higher than the readout says ,you can compensate by adjusting your cooking temps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky