need help on picnic smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jodyfj40

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Guys I am cooking 4 picnics that average 6-7pounds and u would like to serve them around 6:00 Sunday night. Just wondering from the more experienced guys when should I put them on the smoker to allow for enough time to cook and rest. Also should I cook at 225 250 or 275? Thanks for all your help.
Jody

I am not very experienced but I have made a few picnics and butts with a time limit and my most predictable temp has been 300 or there abouts. Might sound high but it comes out so juicy and tender an the bark is crunchy, which I like. It's about an hour a pound. And maybe allow two hours more total and then foil, towel, and cooler it. Will stay warm for a long time like that. Another option it you want to stick with low and slow is to cut the picnics in half ( not always easy to do perfectly) but it helps you cut down on the total time and gives you more bark which everyone loves. Hope this helps

Thanks worktogthr I have been trying to work my way up in temps. Do you spritz for moisture since you don't foil? Thanks again

I too was scared to take the high heat plunge. It's usually a time thing for me. I have a young daughter and a wife who would kill me if I spent 20 hours messing around with a piece of meat haha so the hot and fast is a convenience that produces an end product that is just as good in my opinion as low and slow.

Sounds good I just might give it a try with this cook. Thanks again for the help

Getting things started jeffs rub and eastern nc sauce read to go. Not sure why i can't get my pics to post. Just say memory to low to complete action.

Let's see if this works
Thanks timberjet

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It showed it worked but I don't see any pics.
eqy3ujet.jpg
etyhehum.jpg

Yea I got it thanks guys

Olive oil and jeffs rub. Now wrapped and in the fridge until 6:00am.
eva2adad.jpg

This is my weapon of choice. I'm going to run at 275 and see how it goes. Going on at 7:00am hoping to eat at 6:00pm.
nyva6evy.jpg

Cooking at 275 today so I'm going to use my amps for a little extra smoke.
7yna8uby.jpg

Thanks guys they are at 198 and should be ready to be foiled and in the cooler for resting very soon.
uvyvanud.jpg

Here's the end result and the neighbors seemed to enjoy it. I had to foil two of the picnics because they were not progressing as fast as the other smaller ones. Worked out great and was able to pull all 4 at the same time.
ypapujeh.jpg
9uharyge.jpg
yzaqypu3.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky