Need a recipe for any use of a few beers.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thsmormonsmokes

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
Lindon, UT
So a friend of mine was in town a few months ago. He left 3 bottles of Sierra Pale Ale that he couldn't take with him on the plane. Being a non-drinker, they're just sitting in the fridge taking up space and collecting dust.

So for one, how long before the beer starts to go bad? He bought them at the end of June.

Two, does anyone have a good recipe that this beer would go well with? I'd hate for it to go to waste, so I might as well cook something with it. I don't really care what, I just want to cook something with it since I won't be drinking it. And I have no clue what foods that particular beer will go best with, so I welcome any input from you heathens that know about such things.

(and at risk of stating the obvious, the heathen thing was a joke).

Many thanks.

Smoke up a brisket or some chuckies, and when you go to foil them use the beer - the hoppy taste of Sierra Pale Ale goes great with beef. For full packer brisket use one entire bottle, for a 3-5 lb. chucky use half a bottle.

Of if you do any deep frying use it to make a beer batter!

[h1]Roadhouse Green Beans[/h1]
[h2]Ingredients[/h2]
    • 2 (14.5 ounce) cans whole green beans, drained
    • 1 can of beer
    • 1 Tbsp sugar
    • 1 Tbsp Big Ron's Hint of Houston
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
    • 4 ounces bacon, diced (raw)
    • 1/2 medium diced onion (don't waste the other half, double the recipe)
    • 2 tsp Ham Base

[h2]Directions[/h2]
  1. Using a colander, thoroughly drain green beans. Set aside.
  2. Mix beer, sugar, Big Ron's Hint of Houston, pepper and Ham Base  until well incorporated. Set aside.
  3. Preheat your cooking pan to Medium High heat.
  4. Using a cutting board and a knife, dice the raw bacon into equal size pieces. Place diced bacon into preheated cooking pan. Continually stir bacon with large spoon to keep the bacon from burning.
  5. Once bacon is cooked add the onions and cook until they are tender and light brown.
  6. Now that the onions are tender add the liquid mixture and the beans.
  7. Using the rubber spatula stir the mixture until incorporated.
  8. Bring mixture to a boil. 
  9. Transfer to a half size pan.
  10. Smoke @ 225-250 for 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
  11. Serve beans as soon as you are ready.
Beer Brats

Brats simmered in beer and onions are pretty good, but beer bread in my favorite beer recipe.
The following recipe goes good with bbq.......super easy.....
This is the recipe verbatim from TMEN.

Esther Shuttleworth's Beer Bread Recipe
Just mix 2 tablespoons of sugar into 3 cups of self-rising flour, and then add a 12 ounce bottle of beer (stir well while you mix in the brew, and only add about 4 ounces at a time). Pour the batter into three well-greased 3" X 6" pans (use two if you'd like thicker loaves), and "drizzle" 1/2 cup of melted butter over the top. (The butter should form a 1/ 8" – at least – layer over the dough.) Bake this bread for about 50 minutes at 350° F . . . and then just try to keep your family from eatin' it all as soon as it comes out of the oven!

~Martin

Last edited:
I like to throw a small jar of cut up banana peppers with some sauerkraut and beer in a metal bread pan on the grill.  Brown up some brats and add to the mix and let simmer a bit. 

Brats simmered in beer and onions are pretty good, but beer bread in my favorite beer recipe.
The following recipe goes good with bbq.......super easy.....
This is the recipe verbatim from TMEN.
Esther Shuttleworth's Beer Bread Recipe
Just mix 2 tablespoons of sugar into 3 cups of self-rising flour, and then add a 12 ounce bottle of beer (stir well while you mix in the brew, and only add about 4 ounces at a time). Pour the batter into three well-greased 3" X 6" pans (use two if you'd like thicker loaves), and "drizzle" 1/2 cup of melted butter over the top. (The butter should form a 1/ 8" – at least – layer over the dough.) Bake this bread for about 50 minutes at 350° F . . . and then just try to keep your family from eatin' it all as soon as it comes out of the oven!
~Martin
Is that 1/2 cup of butter per loaf?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky