Name Change!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So, when I was a young guy... which has been a long while!

We run cattle on our dry farm and the cattle would kinda just roam around for the spring, summer and fall... then we'd round em up to bring down for winter...

So, there were others that done this as well... so brands were important as that indicated what cattle belonged to who! The brand was your identification to say... That is my cattle!

So, ten years ago... I was just a young guy joining the forum and liked, actually loved drinking beers... still do, just not as much! 😂

So a few friends would say... "Let's go to the waterin hole and drink a brew."

Now these years later, I was thinking on a name change to reflect my fam history...

Our brand was declared the official Rafter H brand here in Idaho!

So was thinking of the name...

Rafter H BBQ

So it’s still me… just a different name!
Sounds good to me!
I loved drinking beer myself but around age 28-29 alcohol of any kind gives me a mild flu like reaction for days (no not the gluten, fermentation, grains, etc, etc. the actual alcohol lol).

Even if I have 1 drink I get sick the following day/days.
The good thing is that I can drink all I like the day I am drinking but starting the next day I suffer for the better part of a week like I have the flu.

These days I drink like maybe 2-4 times a year and only when I have a long weekend to help absorb the brunt of the sickness.

I'm saying all this because I understand a change away from something alcohol related and it is awesome to see the name change to something cool as the brand name.

Drink a beer or 12 for me next time you tie one on :D

There are some amazing rivers up in Idaho. Does one of those tie in with the ‘rafter’ portion of the name?

Not that I am aware of… I will have to ask my Dad… the brand has been in our fam for generations, so there may be a correlation… and agree with there are some amazing rivers here!

If Justin doesn't mind me hijacking, I'll weigh in on this. Actually, the "rafter" that is historically used in many western cattle brands doesn't have anything to do with river rafting. The rafter in a cattle brand is basically 2 lines that form the outline shape of a roof. As a rule, the "rafter" in the brand is found over one or more letters or symbols to differentiate the brand. Although I haven't seen Justin's family brand, I expect it looks something like:

SHOWIMG.jpg

Any carpenters around here that frames roofs knows what a rafter is.

Sorry Justin, for hijacking...and you already know what I think of the handle change - Awesome!

Red

EDIT: OK Justin sorry I jumped the gun! I just found your thread about brands where you post your actual brand...Looks a bit different than my image of a "Rafter H" brand.

Still throws me off a little....At first I was like "who the heck is this Rafter H fella...!?!?!" LOL.
I like it. and like David said....We will have to have a committee meeting prior to a avatar change.

Jim

Justin, aka Rafter H BBQ...... I don't think we can be friends anymore...... lol Very cool!

If Justin doesn't mind me hijacking, I'll weigh in on this. Actually, the "rafter" that is historically used in many western cattle brands doesn't have anything to do with river rafting. The rafter in a cattle brand is basically 2 lines that form the outline shape of a roof. As a rule, the "rafter" in the brand is found over one or more letters or symbols to differentiate the brand. Although I haven't seen Justin's family brand, I expect it looks something like:

View attachment 655785

Any carpenters around here that frames roofs knows what a rafter is.

Sorry Justin, for hijacking...and you already know what I think of the handle change - Awesome!

Red

EDIT: OK Justin sorry I jumped the gun! I just found your thread about brands where you post your actual brand...Looks a bit different than my image of a "Rafter H" brand.

No apologies needed buddy, always appreciate your insight and chiming in! And the history behind your responses is just plain awesome… always enjoy reading them!

Our Rafter H brand is not the normal… most rafter brands are just as your pic shows…

Thanks again for the reply my friend!

Reactions: seenred
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky