• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Mystery Meat identification help

RichGTS

Meat Mopper
Joined Mar 22, 2020
My niece was cleaning out her freezer and gave me what she said was pork ribs. When I looked at them it says National Beef but nothing else.
no weight, nothing. I put a dollar next to it for reference.
anyone know what this is? It’s frozen solid.

Attachments

old sarge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 26, 2012
Thaw it, cook it, eat it, and let us know. 20 lbs of 🐄

jcam222

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
This is the second mystery meat gift thread this week :) I keep waiting for my mystery meat to get dropped off haha

RichGTS

Meat Mopper
Joined Mar 22, 2020
This is the second mystery meat gift thread this week :) I keep waiting for my mystery meat to get dropped off haha
I would have thought that it would say something somewhere but I can’t find anything other than national beef

jcam222

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Might be easier to decode if you post a few angles out of the cryovac.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
National beef is most likely a vendor or brand name . Does it have a product number on it ?

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
Clod maybe brisket, it's just guessing at this point until you unwrap it.
Whatever it is, the price was right, that's 100% for sure.:emoji_laughing::emoji_sunglasses:

RichGTS

Meat Mopper
Joined Mar 22, 2020
Yea - that sure seems about right. She didn’t know how long it has been in her deep freeze and I can’t tell yet but I’m hoping it’s not freezer burnt.

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
Yea - that sure seems about right. She didn’t know how long it has been in her deep freeze and I can’t tell yet but I’m hoping it’s not freezer burnt.
If it is, being such a big chunk of beef, you should be able to trim off the outer layer to get to the good meat.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Yup . Looks like you will have some clean up to do . The off color stuff on the surface . Like said above plenty of usable meat there , and its in the original package . Plus some of that would be trimmed off no matter what .

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.