My UDS builds

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mattkm

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 5, 2018
Well, since it took me some time to learn how to load+link+post pictures to show my offset build that I'm working on, in that section, I figured I'd do the same with some old UDS build pics.
The black Breaking Bad themed one is my original one I built, about 4 years ago. I've done a ton of smoking on it over the years!
Last summer I built the 2 other full sized UDSs for a couple of friends of mine. Then, I also built myself the mini UDS for taking camping. I love that thing!
Can't wait to finish my offset and get a picture with all 3 of mine together.
DHMosrw.jpg

vjNLGbG.jpg

3KXIkfC.jpg

AtUSrBs.jpg

P0rQHI2.jpg

fJecCCi.jpg

LqbBzVZ.jpg

50Nsy5g.jpg

sSL5HsQ.jpg

ooGkO8k.jpg

I know, now you'll be wishing I never figured out how to post pictures, lol!
Next, I'll get together some "Q-views"!

I like that Mopar UDS. It would go well with my wife's charger.

Chris

That's super cool! I'm doing a UDS out of a Total oil drum. I liked the color, logo... and stickers on it are same weight oil my car uses. Nice to see someone welding too!! I took two barrels and did a double-walled, fully insulated drum. Well... It's getting there. I've been a deadbeat and not working on it. How tall is that MOPAR drum? What are you welding with?

That's super cool! I'm doing a UDS out of a Total oil drum. I liked the color, logo... and stickers on it are same weight oil my car uses. Nice to see someone welding too!! I took two barrels and did a double-walled, fully insulated drum. Well... It's getting there. I've been a deadbeat and not working on it. How tall is that MOPAR drum? What are you welding with?
Thank you 1215! They were fun projects. Can't wait to see yours, the Total drum will make a cool theme. Looking at pictures of uds' on the interweb when building mine, a lot of the fancy ones were always painted in a sports theme, but I'm not a huge sports fan, so I went with the Breaking Bad, and mopar paint jobs instead. I sometimes wish I had left them "ugly" though, then its a true Uds!
-The Mopar drum is approximately 3 feet tall, 14 inches diameter. Of course I couldn't find a tape measure this morning to get an accurate measurement for you!
Do you mean what welder am I using to weld with? These drums would have been done with a Miller 135 mig.
I still have some Q-view pics coming!

Do you mean what welder am I using to weld with? These drums would have been done with a Miller 135 mig.

Yep that's what I meant. I have a bunch of welding machines and metal fabrication stuff... Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 (no gas), Weld Pak 140 (gas), Miller 350P (wired for 208Y 3 phase) and a Lincoln 255. Always curious to see what the competition has! :) Your stuff looks good!!

I'm a total deadbeat. I gotta finish my drum and update with more pics. I hate how life (family coming up to visit, work, house crap, honey-do list, etc.) gets in the way of fun stuff!!

Well, get on it! Just think of the smoking you'll be doing on it!
I have 3 Miller's, 2 migs a Thunderbolt stick.

Nice looking build. What type of welder are you using that it doesnt burn through? I have the $100 Harbor Freight Flux 125 Welder and I burn through even on the low setting. I know it's a shitty welder and I'm even shittier at doing it. Wonder if there's any trick to welding on thin metal like a drum or do I just need to practice or upgrade my equipment?

What type of material are you using to run your thermometer cords through? Is that cork?

These would have been welded with a Miller 135, using gas and solid wire as opposed to flux cored wire. It is tough, the material is pretty thin! I believe with some practice you can do it with your machine, it will take some playing with the wire speed, as you only have the 2 heat settings. Doing small short tack welds, letting it cool for a second or two in between them would help (patience). Some people use a wet rag and dab the weld after each tack. If you watch some videos on people doing auto body welds it may help with some tips. And, I did burn through a few places. I'm more used to welding thicker material.
I recommend bolting anything that you want attached to the lid, instead of welding it, if you're using the flat barrel lid. I made 2 for friends with the flat lids, and welded the handles, and chimney stacks onto them, and warped them pretty good.
And the plugs that my thermometer probes go through are silicone. I work in a research building, and those are used for plugging the ends of beakers, flasks, or test tubes in the labs. There are rubber, cork, and I happened to come across some silicone ones and drilled them out!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky