My UDS Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eth555

Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
SE MN
I have been wanting to build a UDS for a few years now and finally got around to it; doing the seasoning cook now on it. Thanks for all the ideas in this forum it helped a lot. I will hopefully try a pork butt on it this weekend.

NH Drum Smoker 1.jpg

Looks great.

I dont think you have enough exhaust thou. I needed 8 of them.

Sorry for the lack of updates, been busy. I did a pork butt for the break-in on an overnight cook, I monitored it using my igrill 2. Had a little problem keeping temps down, temps crept up to a little over 350F but came down as soon as shut valves down just a bit.

Here are the results from the first cook. It turned out really good, the bark was a just a little different than what I normally get on my WSM, but I think this may be due to the fat dripping directly into charcoal basket versus into water pan or heat diffuser.
Pork Butt.jpg

Pulled Pork.jpg

So after that, I was excited for round 2 with my drum smoker. This past Saturday I decided to try beef spare ribs as we have some in the freezer. The last time I tried spare ribs they were a disaster. I did a day smoke, took about 8 hours and I was a little better prepared to control temps, they ranged from a low of 219F to a high of around 260F and I did not use much charcoal at all. I smoked with Pecan wood chunks and it turned out really good, awesome compared to my last disappointing try with spare ribs on my WSM.

Beef Rib.jpg

So far I have been really impressed with the fuel (charcoal) efficiency of the drum smoker, I would call my 22.5" WSM a hog when it comes to that. I am still getting the hang of getting consistent temperatures. I have done a lot of smokes on my WSM and I can dial it in and it just stays there and really does not go above 275F. I am sure a lot of this has to do with the seasoning and getting used to cooking on either smoker. I remember starting on the WSM and having problems with keeping a consistent temp but went away over time.

I am really enjoying smoking on this drum smoker, this weekend's forecast is rain so I am not sure if I will get a chance to do something this weekend or not yet.

Again apologies for not updating sooner, Thanks for everyone's input on the board it is an excellent resource.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky