• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am on a mission to try this. Either I will procure locally or try one on the online sources. Want to try lamb too.

Now lamb bacon sounds like it could be really interesting. Definitely post that if you go there.

I agree, would love to see some lamb bacon!
Al

Well thanks to our old friend Robert @tx smoker I have a nice piece of beef belly, CPB of course. I cut the piece in half & used http://diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html bacon calculator for the cure.
This is how it came.

View attachment 660245

Out of the plastic.

View attachment 660246

Cut it in half, and into the bags with the cure for a couple of weeks.

View attachment 660247
View attachment 660248
View attachment 660249

Out of the cure (18 days, stuff got in the way).

View attachment 660250

Coated in pepper & ready for a 4 day rest in the fridge.

View attachment 660251

The weather has not been cooperating , it’s been hot & I want to cold smoke this. So the first day I put it on early & let it go 6 hours, then back into the fridge.

View attachment 660253
View attachment 660254

Next day I went 10 more hours, it was a bit cooler!

View attachment 660259

Then another 4 days in the fridge, and finally it’s slicing day!

View attachment 660256

I got rid of my big slicer, so I had to cut these down in size a bit.

View attachment 660257

I really like to try to slice my bacon cross grain, and it was a challenge with this belly.

View attachment 660258

I have a bunch of bacon & lardons.

View attachment 660238

All bagged up & ready for the freezer, except for the paper plate, that’s lunch!!

View attachment 660240

We figured out thru trial & error, that beef bacon needs to be cooked slowly in the oven. We fried a test piece & it was like fatty jerky. So we cooked it in the oven at 350 for 30-40 minutes. It came out crispy & tender. The big difference is this stuff is a flavor bomb.

View attachment 660241

It did shrink up quite a bit!

View attachment 660242

Fresh made bread, tomato from the garden, lettuce from the garden, & homemade beef bacon. Dang I guess I’ll have to start making my own mayo!

View attachment 660243

With all the hype going on with the beef bacon, I was really expecting something special, and this did not disappoint. The flavor is off the charts. It’s very beefy with wonderful tasting fat. Cooked in the oven it is crispy just like pork bacon, but with twice the flavor. I don’t think Judy & I will share this with our neighbors, they can eat the pork bacon!! :emoji_sunglasses:
Thanks for stopping by folks. And thanks to Robert for giving me the opportunity to make my own beef bacon!!
Al
BEEF BACON wow that's amazing!! Cheers, I might have to take this idea!

Reactions: SmokinAl
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky