• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CrazedOccultist

Original poster
Jan 20, 2022
Texas
While shopping at my local thrift store a few months ago, I happened to find a brand new Cuisinart DHR-20 for about $20, still in box w/ factory seals on the power cord. After tinkering around with various sauces and spices, this is my home prepped jerky recipe(no cure in this one yet, since it is mostly gone in less than 24hrs). For the meat, I've used Chuck Roast and Brisket; I'm a big fan of the Brisket Tri Tip cut at my local grocery store, since it has a nice amount of marbling throughout; for a leaner cut, I recommend using trimmed Chuck Roast. Spicing is for ~3.5lbs of meat, sliced medium thickness (1/2") and mixed with my liquid spicing. Both Dry and Wet Ingredients will be separated below.

After whisking the wet/dry ingredients together I like to go ahead and pour everything into a bag with the sliced meat, and let marinate for 4 hours. After marinating, layer out with 1/4 inch of space in between each piece, and sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Dehydrate for 5 hours.(currently prepping new batch, will update with fresh pictures when available.)

Dry Ingredients

1/2 tsp of Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp of Onion Powder
1/2 tsp of Ground Mustard
1/2 tsp of White Pepper
1 tsp of Salt
1 tsp of black pepper
2 tsp of Devil's Spit
2 tsp of Light Brown Sugar

Wet Ingredients

1/4 cup of Soy Sauce
1/4 cup of Worcestershire Sauce
1/8 cup of Teriyaki Marinade
2 tsp of Liquid Smoke

Attachments

• dhr20.jpg
    dhr20.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Jerky Raw.jpg
    Jerky Raw.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Spice Mix.jpg
    Spice Mix.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 34
Always add cure, even when using a dehydrator.

The primary and most important reason to use cures is to prevent BOTULISM POISONING.
(Food poisoning).
It is very important that any kind of meat or sausage that will be cooked, dehydrated or smoked at low temperature be cured. To trigger botulism poisoning, the requirements are quite simple - lack of oxygen, the presence of moisture, and temperatures in range of 40-140° F. When smoking meats, the heat and smoke eliminates the oxygen. The meats have moisture and are traditionally smoked and cooked in the low ranges of 90 to 185° F. As you can see, these are ideal conditions for food poisoning if you don't use cures.

There are two types of commercially used cures.

Prague Powder #1
Also called Insta-Cure and Modern Cure. Cures are used to prevent meats from spoiling when being cooked or smoked at low temperatures (under 200 degrees F). This cure is 1 part sodium nitrite (6.25%) and 16 parts salt (93.75%) and are combined and crystallized to assure even distribution. As the meat temperate rises during processing, the sodium nitrite changes to nitric oxide and starts to ‘gas out’ at about 130 degrees F. After the smoking /cooking process is complete only about 10-20% of the original nitrite remains. As the product is stored and later reheated for consumption, the decline of nitrite continues. 4 ounces of Prague powder #1 is required to cure 100 lbs of meat. A more typical measurement for home use is 1 level tsp per 5 lbs of meat. Mix with cold water, then mix into meat like you would mix seasonings into meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky