My take at smoked prime rib (bone-on in the MES)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoketrailsteve

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 22, 2017
Alberta, Canada
Well I set off to figure out the best way to smoke a prime rib and it was a lot more work and research than I expected. A lot of science and planning goes into doing it right. With PR's I've done in the past I've always gone hot and fast. They all turned out with a "bullseye" of overdone meat on the outside and some medium rare in the middle.

So I turned to the reverse sear method and cooked two prime rib's this holiday season with the method. One thing I found is there's really no good/definitive resource out there to tell you how to do this right.

Lots of them were recommending 35 minutes per pound at 225 etc. (WAY to long), some recommended not resting it at all and some didn't take into account carryover at all.

So I decided to smoke another prime rib and document the process that worked for me.

Results: perfect medium rare throughout with a nice brown crispy bark. Light smoke flavor.

Who said you can't make culinary masterpieces in an electric smoker?

Details:

Video

Overview
20200105_190032.jpg

- 10 lb bone-on roast
- Brined 12 hours
- light rub
- room temp for 2 hours
- smoked in the masterbuilt electric smoker for 3.5 hrs at 225*
- removed at 120* internal
- rested for 30-35 mins until it came up to exactly 130*
- Finished with a quick sear on my Pit Boss 456D

I think your PR looks AWESOME.

and having it medium rare is good, as I really like a steak sammich made from a thick slice of that all pink PR, grilled on a very hot grill to get a bit of char, and put that on garlic toast!
add a side of wild rice and away I go!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky