My Super Bowl Cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

retfr8flyr

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 20, 2013
Providence Forge, VA
Here is my Sunday cook, on my Timberline 1300, for a party I had. Three racks of St Louis style ribs and 3 Boston butts. This is my first cook with St Louis style in many years, as I usually make Baby Backs, store had them on sale for $1.99 lb, so couldn't pass them up. They turned out really great and everyone loved all the food. I used a home made rub on the Butts and OakridgeBBQ Dominator Sweet Rub on the ribs. Really liked the Oakridge rub on the ribs. Cooked at 175° on super smoke for 2 hrs, then increased to 225° still on SS, for another 2 hrs. I then increased to 275° to finish them off. The ribs took almost 6 hrs and the butts took 12 hrs. I pulled the ribs at the 4 hr mark and wrapped them in foil and put them in a cooler. When I though the butts had a couple of hours to go, I put the ribs back on to finish. This was a straight through cook, no spritzing, or sauce applied, everything was pulled, wrapped and held for an hour. I only got the one picture, as things were very hectic.

Looks great, full smoker of excellent food.

Point for sure.
Chris

Reactions: retfr8flyr
man that is a lot of food. congrats

Everything looks great!

How did it work out taking the ribs out letting them rest and finishing them later? Never thought to try it

First time I have tried it, as I am new to the pellet grill. With my Kamado Joe I would just put the ribs on later because smoke flavor was not an issue. With the Timberline I wanted the ribs to get the super smoke advantage, so I came up with this idea. They really came out great, when I pulled them out of the cooler they were still too hot to handle without gloves, so I don't see any problems with this method. The ribs were still very moist and perfectly done. The pulled pork was also very good. Here are a couple of pics of my last cook with butts and my rub.

These turned out just like the pics. I love my Timberline, it's really turning out some great food.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
First time I have tried it, as I am new to the pellet grill. With my Kamado Joe I would just put the ribs on later because smoke flavor was not an issue. With the Timberline I wanted the ribs to get the super smoke advantage, so I came up with this idea. They really came out great, when I pulled them out of the cooler they were still too hot to handle without gloves, so I don't see any problems with this method. The ribs were still very moist and perfectly done. The pulled pork was also very good. Here are a couple of pics of my last cook with butts and my rub.

These turned out just like the pics. I love my Timberline, it's really turning out some great food.

Good looking BB man! Might try your rib method next time I don’t have 2 smokers going at once

Reactions: retfr8flyr
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky