My Smoker (finally started it.

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by disturbed724, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Hello, I have been lurking in the shadows for a little while now. I asked a few questions and decided to take the plunge! I found an awesome smoker idea/build that I figured I'd try to build for myself. Its has been a lot of fun so far. I'm pretty green to welding so I figured this would be good practice and a chance to get better. Here are the pics from the first 6 hours of work.

This is the design

The gentleman in the pic is my good friend and supervisor. lol he has experience welding so he definitely helped out a lot! Sorry they are in the wrong order. The smoker is all welded together. Today we'll cut the openings for the grill and fire pit part. I figure I'd clean up the welds and make it look "pretty" on a rainy day. I need to make more progress.

2. hambone1950

hambone1950 Master of the Pit Group Lead

That's going to be a wicked cool smoker when you get it finished. You made a pretty good start in 6 hours. Nice work.

3. Thanks Hambone! I have a pretty cool paint design and total scheme for it. lol. I just hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew lol.

4. bandcollector

bandcollector Master of the Pit OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Nice job on the smoker...I am intrigued by the different design...Best of luck with it!

5. Hey BandCollector. Your location is very close to me. I live in SW Pa. a town called Charleroi.

6. Update!

Here is the next 6 hours of work. It's really starting to come along now. I can smell the brisket or chicken or ribs cooking now! lol.

EDIT: Does anyone have an idea on how big my exhaust tube should be for letting smoke out? I don't want to get further and mess it up because I needed to make it bigger or smaller. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  7. Lol. ~~"Does anyone have an idea on how big my exhaust tube should be for letting smoke out? I don't want to get further and mess it up because I needed to make it bigger or smaller. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance." no one has an idea? lol I might be in trouble lol.

8. treym64

treym64 Smoke Blower

I would say 1/2 inch radius

9. ok cool. I had originally though 3'' tubing but I wasn't sure if it was going to be to big?

10. treym64

treym64 Smoke Blower

3 would be little large

11. lol ok. Back to the drawing table! lol Thank you very much.

12. A secondary question: I know it would be big but, would there an issue using 3"? Just wondering.

13. treym64

treym64 Smoke Blower

I would not think so
    Where would you put it

14. treym64

treym64 Smoke Blower

You could use like a old tail pipe and use that

15. ok. I was thinking off of the right side using furnace pieces that way I could have a damper in there too. I tried to edit a picture to show it. Couldn't get it to work.

Refer to this picture and a 3" exhaust on the right side lol.

16. Look at Feldon's Pit Calculator  put in what you have and it will help you size openings chimney size etc. I wouldn't go less than 3" or 4"  but that is just me, check Feldon's and it will give you an idea. There has been a lot of discussion on stack size and length. A larger dia. stack will evacuate more smoke and heat a lot quicker than the small dia. you just have to find a happy medium that works for your smoker.

gary

17. Ok cool. Thanks alot Gary. I imagine its on this site right? lol If not I'll do a google search. 

18. Small update (only about 2 hours worked)

The doors are on and hinged up!

pork dork likes this.
  19. Well, She is almost complete. I have to figure out the rest of the exhaust and then seal the doors and season her up!

Hey, I was wondering, the heating exhaust tubes are ok to use for exhaust right?

pork dork likes this.
  20. pork dork

pork dork Smoke Blower

:Looks-Great: