My potato pancakes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
I've made them in the past. But I heard about using potato starch. So I gave it a go.

P1300505.JPG

3 pounds of russets shredded, rinsed, and dried.

P1300506.JPG

Mixed in 4 eggs, 3 tbs of flour, and 2 tbs of potato starch
P1300507.JPG

Fried up a test patty. This was better then I've ever made. Sorry, no dinner shot.

Great job.
I use potato starch a lot.

Caution to those that haven't used potato starch.
It must be mixed in completely to cold ingredients.
Flour makes lumps, potato starch makes loogies

Reactions: Jimbo9414
So funny thing...laying in bed this morning started thinking about breakfast sandwiches, was hungry apparently. Thought to myself ...someone had made potato pancakes lately...those would go great on a breakfast sandwich. Just scrolling around and thought I'd take a look a veggie section and guess what I see!
Now only question is, I know we don't have any potato starch, corn starch yes. What's the difference between the two? Are they interchangeable, just flavor difference?

Thanks Steve
Ryan

I've used both. Corn starch works. But potato starch works better as a binder. You might want to add a touch more corn starch.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
For frying I prep the taters cubed or shredded then soak in cold weather for 1 hour then drain, not sure what the starch is supposed to do as the egg is a binder, I know they cook up a lot better with the starch soaked out of them especially shredded , cooking different ways is a lot of fun but can be a tad fattening lol

Most recipes calls for either corn or potato starch. Or even flour. Some people reclaim the starch from the potatoes after they have set for a hour. The starch is used to get them crisp and crunchy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky