My New Weber 22 Kettle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kruizer

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Sep 7, 2015
Central Minnesota
I just bought the Weber Kettle and I have to say, this is the easiest thing to control temps on that I have. My OKJ highland is fussy and my Camp Chef Woodwind is unsteady (plus or minus 30 degrees). The Weber holds plus or minus 5 degrees once I have it set. I will probably be doing a lot of smoking on this in the future. Just sayin.

Reactions: Walchit
Many good cooks in your future!
A peek at my Weberama.When smoking on kettle or WSM,the Joe is used to grill "pacifiers" and is also used to bank coals/start a fresh batch for long cooks.
KIMG0608.jpg

You won't see me arguing with Kettle logic. Mine get used more then the WSM.

Chris

I forget to mention, Now your going to want a Vortex to go with that new kettle.

Chris

Reactions: ksblazer
You can use a SS mixing bowl/pet bowl of appropriate shape with the end cut out to accomplish the task for $10-15.

I have 2 kettles & use them both all the time.
One is set up with a kettle pizza attachment & I only use it for pizza & calzone.
Al

So what does the vortex actually do, channel the heat straight up? Looks like you use less coals as well.

Is it intended for long smokes too? If so is it difficult to add more coals?

So what does the vortex actually do, channel the heat straight up? Looks like you use less coals as well.

Is it intended for long smokes too? If so is it difficult to add more coals?

The Vortex has many different applications. When doing poultry and other meats that require indirect high heat then you put the smaller opening facing upwards. The heat is directed towards the lid of the Kettle and follows the lid's shape downwards to the grate. It's great for poultry and other meats(like steak). If you want to use it for longer cooks like butts or whole chickens then place the Vortex on the charcoal grate with the big side facing up, and put your meat in the middle of the Vortex. If needed with the gourmet grate refilling isn't hard. I've never had to refill mine unless cooking wings for a larger party. I don't use it for longer smokes so I don't have any examples sorry.

I used it here to make chicken fried steak:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/chicken-fried-steak-and-sausage-gravy.275549/

Chris

Everyone's webers are looking awesome in here. I got a char-griller premium kettle and really like it, so after some research I wanted a weber. Now I have 4 that I bought for 60 bucks off Craigslist. Have 2 of them cleaned up, bout to order stainless steel ash sweepers from weber part number is #90720 30.56 a piece 7 dollar shipping no matter what you order.

The red one was made in 1995, and the black one is a 2001. They didn't look like they had ever been cleaned. The Kenmore handles are off of the grey one, 1990-1991
Sanded them and filled the letters in with sharpie, then hit them with a couple coats of poly.
20190417_194953.jpg
20190415_181543.jpg
20190415_181522.jpg
20190412_195433.jpg
20190417_194953.jpg
20190415_181543.jpg
20190415_181522.jpg
20190412_195433.jpg

Reactions: gmc2003
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky