My new smoker.

Discussion in 'Fridge/Freezer Builds' started by starch, Aug 20, 2011.

1. I found an old fridge on Craigslist for $50 so I jumped on it. I pulled out all the plastic and replaced it with sheet metal.  I had to sand it down and paint it because it was pink. It is PID controlled and works like a dream.

[​IMG]

2. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Nice score!

3. ellymae

ellymae Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

SWEET!

4. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

More Details on Your Build!!!

Todd

5. carpetride

carpetride Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That looks cool!

6. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

That looks real good !

7. daggerdoggie

daggerdoggie Smoke Blower

Very nice!

8. mneeley490

mneeley490 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Very nice! What did you use for heat and smoke?

9. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A picture before and during the magical transformation.

10. Here is my heat and smoke source. For the smoke I took the idea from the a-maze-n smoker and built a small trough from perforated steel. In the picture is the first try, which works great. In a bit I'm going to make one that will give me more smoke time (although this one will burn up to 3 hours). For the heat I went to Goodwill and scored an electric cast aluminum griddle. It set me back less that $5. Score!

[​IMG]

11. I bought a PID control, solid state relay, heat sink, and thermocouple from www.lightobject.com.

Here is a tutorial I made on another site (one on making knives) on how I wired everything together. The only real difference (other than one project is a kiln and one is a smoker) is that for the kiln I used a fan to cool the solid state relay and the smoker I used a heat sink. When I wired the smoker I pulled up this tutorial and followed it.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  12. After finishing I put this bad boy through it's paces.

Snack sticks

[​IMG]

Polish Sausage

[​IMG]

ABT's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. tyotrain

tyotrain Master of the Pit

wow real nice job.. and nice score..