My MES 40 won't run....getting error messages...its 6F outside

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
Never had this problem before. Is there a temperature range the MES40 is supposed to be at for using?

I have pushed all the buttons and tried the app...no joy.

Looks like the prime rib will be oven-done instead of being delightfully smoked.

I put it in the box and ran it for 3 or 4 minutes and then spent a minute on the control panel...came right on.

Reactions: tallbm
Main downside of electric smokers. When you hit start they should start no matter what the temperature is. A PID fixed that issue, still won’t display anything below 32F until cabinet/meat hits 33F and starts climbing.

Reactions: uncle eddie
Main downside of electric smokers. When you hit start they should start no matter what the temperature is. A PID fixed that issue, still won’t display anything below 32F until cabinet/meat hits 33F and starts climbing.
And any boards and components without a conformal coating can be affected by heat, cold and humidity when left outside. Auber sent me this email on the WS-1510ELPM. Maybe plugging the smoker directly into the outlet and set a timer for 20 minutes to preheat and get the outside of the smoker top a little warmer before bringing out and setting this Auber plug and play on it with the front legs folded up so it lays flat ont the bottom heat sink.
Screenshot_20211117-095120_Email.jpg

If its say anywhere below 40, Ill stick a hairdryer in my MES for abouy 30 seconds with the vent closed and it will fire right up, otherwise, Ill get that same error

Did it yesterday, was 25 when I went out to start warming it up for a cpl pieces of tritip.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions to consider going forward. We had rare, medium rare, and special requests of medium prime rib. All was perfect for Christmas dinner.

Leftovers to be reheated in a Sous Vide to 130F tomorrow… which is one of my fave SV uses for NOT overcooking leftover prime rib.

Reactions: Kevin DeShazo
And any boards and components without a conformal coating can be affected by heat, cold and humidity when left outside. Auber sent me this email on the WS-1510ELPM. Maybe plugging the smoker directly into the outlet and set a timer for 20 minutes to preheat and get the outside of the smoker top a little warmer before bringing out and setting this Auber plug and play on it with the front legs folded up so it lays flat ont the bottom heat sink.
View attachment 652337
Agreed. My PID(Inkbird) is a DIY with a much larger enclosure that my Inkbird IBT-4XP wireless BBQ thermometer and the only time they read the same temperature is when the two of them are set up side by side in the house. Once I bring them outside and the internals start to cool down the cabinet temperature displayed start to separate. At -20C the temperature of the wireless thermometer will read 6-10F higher than the PID. I add a third thermometer ThermoPro TP-08 into the mix and it will read the same as the Inkbird IBT-4XP. Bring them all back inside allowing all the thermometers to warm up to room temperature and all 3 will read the same temperature.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky