My Maverick ET-73 Is Being Delivered Today.

Discussion in 'Meat Thermometers' started by grange, Aug 11, 2011.

1. grange

grange Fire Starter

I wanted to get the ET-732, but since I just started smoking I didn't want to spend more on a thermometer than I did on my smoker. [​IMG]   From what I've read the ET-73 is still a good thermometer and for less than $34 it is a decent deal.  I figure that when I graduate to a nicer smoker I'll get a better thermometer and by that time there may be a better alternative than the 732.  

So now I've got to find a good rub recipe for a whole chicken because that will be my second smoke.  I need to decide if I'm going to spatchcock the chicken or smoke it whole.

2. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

We like beer can chicken.

For the rub we use Montreal chicken seasoning.

3. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Congrats on the new therm. I've been spatchcocking them lately, they cook faster and easier to get rub on the inside. 

4. grange

grange Fire Starter

Just checked the temp. accuracy with boiling water.  Both probes measured 210 degrees F.  I'm anxious to see how far off the thermometer on my smoker is.

I've done the beer can chicken a few times and had good results so now I want to try something different.  I've been leaning toward spatchcock chicken, but I haven't decided.  I am planning on using a simple brine of water salt and some sugar and then a dry rub.