My latest creation....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

qwikrnu bbq

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Bad Axe, MI
Found this laying around. Hmmmmmmm, made in 1941. 3/8 plate. should work....
Made a Qwik chalk blueprint on the welding table. Threw on some washers for tires, and were off and running.

Just happened to have an extra 1970' ish fisher wood stove laying around.

Disassembled and sandblasted....

And a fresh coat....

Added a shelf...

First fire up...

Started to finish out the inside...

Still a way to go. But at least I was able to cook Thanksgiving dinner on it. Added a swing out camp chef stove...

Working on propane tank mounts now. Also playing with adding a pipe burner under the RF plate. Still have a lot  of thinking to do on this yet...This is the first pipe burner I've built. Anyone have an idea on what size regulator I need to run this thing properly?? Its 5 foot long 1-1/2" pipe. In this pic its hooked to a standard bbq grill reg. I think it burn a bit hotter.

I was bored and thought I would make a few meat hooks.
icon_biggrin.gif
.  I use them for hanging sausage, yard birds, and stuff. I'm making a set that will be a little shorter for the front grill chamber. They can be used with or without the racks. Just trying something different I guess.

Man that thing look good, Like the Firebox WOW    I am a little confused (not hard to do)  Is this a RF ?  if so how do the 3 stacks work ?  I like the Argentinian style of raising and lowering the grate, so if you are raising and lowering is that part a regular charcoal or wood grill?

Gary

Gary, the front chamber is partitioned off from the back 2/3. I have tried without this partition, which works great if you don't want to grill anything at the same time. (opening and closing door) So then I tried a full partition, but I wanted to be able to "share" heat between front and back. Right now I'm trying out a plate that folds down the top 1/3. (about ten inches down) I will try to decrease that to @ 5-6 inches just to see what happens. Once I figure out exactly where I want it , I will build it out of 1/4" plate and make it permanent.

Either way controlling the temp in this thing is surprisingly easy using the dampers. Each stack has a hand fitted stainless steel damper @ 6" up from the bottom. All dampers are open when firing up. Once she comes up to temp and stabilizes, (about an hour in 8* weather) I can then close off or partially close the center damper for use as a RF. The factory air inlets on the Fisher stove are just about perfect. The RF plates are not final yet either. Still playing with a few different ideas.

The grill in the front is a heavy cast iron "pig grate" Measures 42" x 28". Weighs about 100 lbs. After a few tries I ended up using 2.75: 1 gears turning #55 chain to raise / lower the grate.  I built the wheel using solid stainless steel and that weighs  in at @ 100 lbs. The lower gears combined with the weight of the wheel, allows it to turn easy and stay in place without having to pin the wheel. You can easily lift the grate high enough to build a wood / charcoal fire under it, then lower to your desired setting.  IT WORKS AWESOME!! 

Still have a ways to go, and I ran out of good days to work on it.  Another 6* morning with a few more inches of snow......

That's sweet Tony. You're a real creator with the steel! I hear ya on the snow. Feels like its been snowing for 3 days straight around here...

Makes sense now, I really like that good looking smoker and great idea.

Gary

While I was looking for inspiration to build a propane tank holder, the whole time it was right in front of me....

Normally I'm looking for something that is a little more "unique". But hey, this is strong and simple. So after a few quick measurements, I'm off and running....

And this is what I came up with. I'll probably roll up a piece of flat stock for the bottom to sit in before I weld it on the trailer.

Normally I would have a little diamond plate and expanded metal in there too. I think I might be slipping a little...

Merry X-mass and a happy new year to you Gary! (And every one else too)

So there I was hanging out in the shop enjoying an ice cold beverage when a friend asked "How you supposed to cook us breakfast at deer camp on that thing??" I told him that I have ALOT of cast iron goodies to cook breakfast with. Another friend said "NO way man, you need one of those big a** griddles, you know like the ones you see up at the restaurant.....) Yup. He was pretty well marinated. BUT, that sounded like a pretty cool idea! Sooo, here goes. We'll consider this an "accessory"  to my build.

The bottom is cut from 3/8" diamond plate while the sides are made from 1" x 1/4" flat stock. The size is about 28" x 22". That way I can use it on my camp chef stove or I can put it in my grill chamber where it will cover 1/2 of the grate.

TIGed and polished...

A few coats of oil later....

Ok, enough of that fab stuff. back to my cold one........

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky