My Latest Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bworthy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 1, 2014
Folsom, CA
This was my third time smoking a brisket and I still have things to figure out. Started with a 13 lb. prime packer from Costco. Trimmed the hard fat from around the point, lightly trimmed the rest. I made sure not to cut too much fat as I had done previously. Rubbed with my 50/50 mix of kosher salt and course black pepper.

Into my Smoke Hollow gasser which was cruising right around 230 F with pecan chips and chunks at midnight. I started it with the fat cap down as my last one got too crunchy on the bottom. Let it roll there, adding a couple more chips/chunks at 3:00. Smoker temperature stayed between 230 F and 240 F the whole time.

At 6:00 the color looked good, pulled it and wrapped in butcher paper. Back into the smoker it went. This time the fat cap was up. I put a temp probe in at this point, it was reading 174 F where it stayed for another hour and half or so. It got to 190 F at noon so I probed it in a few spots with my instant read therm. It seemed pretty tender for the most part but I let it continue to cook until IT was 200F. Probed tender, pulled and put it into the cooler for about 3 hours when we were ready to eat.

It looked and smelled terrific, but upon slicing it was so moist it just fell apart. Consistency of a pot roast!

So, did I over cook, under cook or what. By the way, it tasted great, no complaints there!

135921C7-1C3C-4214-BC77-F592B2F1D429.jpeg
97D4ACBA-6374-4129-83DE-477A5A1AE50E.jpeg
15B809B2-EEEC-4853-A954-AD055D84B388.jpeg

Brisket looks great! I feel ya though I did one yesterday with a similar result. Got beautiful moist slices off most of the flat but soon as I got close to the point it started to just fall apart and looks just like that. Took mine to 203 probed tender all over and felt like jello(choice packer also wrapped in butcher paper). I attribute it to the resting period but I don't know for sure. I wrapped mine in a towel on the counter for about an hour. I've cooked several briskets but am by no means an expert. Maybe someone else has an idea.

Reactions: bworthy
The GREAT thing about brisket is being able to eat your mistakes. The ART of brisket is knowing when it's done...and that only comes wit experience. Every brisket can cook differently, or the same. Personally, I do everything you did. I usually use Choice or Select grade. The one thing I stopped doing was using a cooler as a hot box.now I cover with foil, old towels, and let rest on the counter. It stops the cooking process.

If you pull a completely done (probe tender) brisket and immediately wrap & put in a cooler with towels it's going to continue cooking. I always suggest resting on the counter open for 10-15 minutes before wrapping and cooler resting.

Another thing, PRIME briskets get done faster than CHOICE. On top of that I'm starting to believe they become tender quicker, ie at lower IT. The Prime I did Sunday was tender at 196º but remembering all the previous smokes where I pulled too early, I left this one also go until 200º. Problem, my previous ones were Choice. While it was still quite good, the moisture content of the flat was diminished and it too started to fall apart when sliced. Sounds like we duplicated efforts. :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: forktender
The GREAT thing about brisket is being able to eat your mistakes. The ART of brisket is knowing when it's done...and that only comes wit experience. Every brisket can cook differently, or the same. Personally, I do everything you did. I usually use Choice or Select grade. The one thing I stopped doing was using a cooler as a hot box.now I cover with foil, old towels, and let rest on the counter. It stops the cooking process.
I do enjoy the eating part! I think you may be right on about it continuing to cook while in the cooler.

If you pull a completely done (probe tender) brisket and immediately wrap & put in a cooler with towels it's going to continue cooking. I always suggest resting on the counter open for 10-15 minutes before wrapping and cooler resting.

Another thing, PRIME briskets get done faster than CHOICE. On top of that I'm starting to believe they become tender quicker, ie at lower IT. The Prime I did Sunday was tender at 196º but remembering all the previous smokes where I pulled too early, I left this one also go until 200º. Problem, my previous ones were Choice. While it was still quite good, the moisture content of the flat was diminished and it too started to fall apart when sliced. Sounds like we duplicated efforts. :emoji_laughing:
I should have trusted my instincts and pulled it when it felt tender @ 190F. Especially since I planned to hold it in the cooler as long as I did.

I should have trusted my instincts and pulled it when it felt tender @ 190F. Especially since I planned to hold it in the cooler as long as I did.

Yep. Try to ignore temps and go be feel. I've had briskets that were around 192 when done. Seems like you are the right track and that brisket looks like it was mighty tasty anyway.

I think you did it spot on. I've found 195 to 210 is the usual range where it's done. Probe test is the key for me - when it feels like I'm sticking the hand temp probe into hot butter, it's done. Yours looks so tasty. Congrats.

I've made that mistake in the past. If you are gonna hold in a cooler, definitely pull 5 to 10 degrees below your target temperature. Looks good though, I'm sure no one was hungry!

Thanks everyone. It did taste good, nobody left hungry and it made into some excellent tacos tonight!

i finished my last one in the pan, when it hit 200 to 205 i probed.. it was done so i pulled it out of the smoker and put it on the counter still in the pan, let it cool for 4 hrs and put the entire pan in the fridge... next day, it cut perfect, tasted great even without a heavy bark on it.. im done with the towel wrapping and tossing them in a cooler .. im not competition cooking and i dont have a temp problem at serving time so i dont have a need for it.. 2 ways to pull for wrapping imo is pull 10 degrees before you hit temp and wrap or hit temp and let it start to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before you wrap .. worse case is to pull at temp and wrap it up rite then, it will still cook like that.. i have done that and then went totally to the opposite end of the spectrum on the next brisket cook trying to fix my boo boo... im hoping with 1 more brisket cook , ill have my method down as long as i stick to the same purchase weight.. 15 to 15.5 lbs. Choice,, seems to be my sweet spot..

I'd certainly be proud serving and munching on that brisket. It looks wonderful.

Point for sure
Chris

I don't do many briskets because there are only 2 of us at home, but when I see a brisket post like yours, I start thinking Damn! That looks good...maybe...

One thing that does help with a tender brisket is to have a very sharp knife.

Big Like!

Looks mighty TASTY for sure!!! I would have no complaints eating that!!! I agree with all of the above and the wrapping. I feel that it just continues to cook if you wrap it right away. I run mine nekkid the whole cook and when probe tender, put into a foil pan and let sit and cool slightly to stop cooking. I then cover tightly with heavy foil until time to slice and eat or into fridge...

The idea of BBQ is rather simple . Taking a tough cut of meat and making it eatable.. tender and tasty..i say you nailed it... hopefully your keeping a journal of your cooks, i know it sounds lame but its the best thing i ever did..

I don't do many briskets because there are only 2 of us at home, but when I see a brisket post like yours, I start thinking Damn! That looks good...maybe...

One thing that does help with a tender brisket is to have a very sharp knife.

Big Like!
There are only two of us in our home as well, but I smoke them several times a year to freeze slices and chunks. Brisket makes the best chili and tacos there is in my opinion, and brisket sandwiches in the middle of winter at the duck club are aways a big hit. It never goes to waste around here, so go for it, you'll be happy that you did.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky