My head is spinning! UDS vs WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mlk18

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 1, 2020
Great Plains
After much research and debate last year I selected and purchased a Weber Genesis II 4 burner to replace my old gasser. I made the right choice and am very happy with it, especially after adding Grill Grates and a pellet maze. Now it's time to replace my old (electric) smoker. For some reason I keep switching back and forth between the idea of a NSU (not so ugly) drum smoker and a WSM 22" or 26" Weber kettle. As far as a UDS goes: the OJ Bronco Pro, the Short Rib Drum, Gateway drum, and Hunsacker Drum are all on my list of finalists. But I do like my Weber gas grill and the WSM / Weber Kettles seems very popular. I have a big family (as I was slow to discover the existence of birth control) so a 14" isn't going to get it done and I would prefer not to run 2-3 units at the same time. My sugar Momma threw $1,000 at me to get started and told me to buy something that will last more than 3-4 years. At the same time the less I spend on the smoker the more I can spend on accessories and toys. I will surely smoke up some ribs & chickens, but my family favs are turkey breasts (the 7lb variety), pork butts, and chuck roasts or briskets. All of which I would prefer to cook on a grate. I live in the great white North so weather extremes and wind are the norm. I actually had a WSM way back when I was married for lust instead of money and actually watched it fly away during a casual tornado. I presume the 22" is a touch heavier. Anyway there was a bunch of random thoughts and a brief explanation as to why my head is spinning. Now it's your turn to throw some thoughts back at me. What would you do? Any thoughts I should be having that I'm not?

I just picked up a 22” WSM. I love it it’s about as set and forget as you can get to an electric. Easy to use. And a great price too you could get a 22” WSM and a 26” kettle for under and both would last for 10+ years.

Glad you smartened up and went with money over lust 😂😂.

Don't know if the smaller kettle can handle a whole spatched turkey or a packer brisket so I would go with the largest of your options seeing as you also have a big family. Don't want to disappoint the sugar mama!

Reactions: mlk18 and JLeonard
The WSM is a great smoker (long duration that's close to hands off) and a lousy grill. The Kettle is a Great grill and a better than average smoker. For $1000, no question-get both the 22 WSM and the 26 Kettle.

My 22 Kettle Performer (table only) is over 20 years old. I've replaced the grates twice, I believe. 22 WSM is 8 or 9 yrs old and still going strong. Haven't replaced anything and only added a gasket kit ($25).

LMAO. :emoji_laughing: Lots of funny stuff but "casual tornado" is my fave.

I rate all storms by my willingness to remain in a lawn chair and observe it first hand. When that 14" WSM flew away I was about 2' into the garage wondering how that first wife was doing all alone in the basement.

Glad you smartened up and went with money over lust 😂😂.

Okay, I went with lust both times. Just turned out the second wife went from college to career success in very short order.

• Haha
Reactions: bill1 and JLeonard
First I would knock the OKJ off the list as I think it is overpriced for what you get. I ended up going with a Hunsaker drum and I couldn't be happier. It is a high quality smoker and it will last a long time if you take care of it. At one point I found an 18" WSM on clearance so I snatched it up. I ended up not even taking it out of the box because I couldn't see how it would do anything better than the Hunsaker.

Reactions: mlk18
I will be honest, after watching 27 YouTube videos a small part of me wants to buy a Pit Barrel Cooker and a Weber kettle. The PBC seems so easy to use that a politician could figure it out. State level not Federal, we have to keep this realistic. The kettle seems like it handle anything the PBC couldn't. My wife keeps telling me I am overthinking it, but this is serious stuff. It's not like we're talking about pointless stuff like who won a Grammy or if Coors Light is really a beer or just slightly yellow water.

I know I know.......and I don't even have a Rectec....... my point was for that price point he could end up with his gasser, pellet and a charcoal......But I have a problem....2 gassers, 2 pellets, 2 reverse flows, 1 charcoal, and 1 XFire....
Ya but you get some really cool fire pics so you're off the hook! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Used a WSM for quite a long time. Once I picked up a UDS and did a couple of smokes, I sold the Weber. UDS is more versatile and is also very fuel efficient. I can do a 12 hr cook on less that 5# of charcoal.

I got all excited last night when I found out that a metal shop not-to-far away from me fabricated their own UDS that are similiar-ish to the Gatway drums for about $300 less. Then I got punched in the brisket when they replied to my email saying that are not currently making them due to difficulties in their supply line and to check back mid-summer. Argh! Every day that goes by that I don't own a smoker is like having to listen to modern pop music on loop: painful and without purpose.

I'm a bit biased, but I would recommend the 26" kettle if your only getting one. If you can get two then I would go for the 26 Kettle and 22" WSM. I have a 22" kettle, 26" kettle, and a 22" WSM. The WSM hasn't seen the light of day in a year. The 22" gets used for high heat cooks using the Vortex. I won't use the Vortex in my 26" Kettle because I've seen the damage it's caused to the lid on the 22". The 26" kettle has all the room I need for ribs, turkeys, butts, or whatever. With the slow-n-sear longer cooks are no problem. Another plus with the WSM is that it has three sections. That makes moving it around easier and cleaning out the ash a breeze. I store all my grills in my garage and don't want to lift a heavy drum up and down the two steps needed to get it into my backyard.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky