My garden now that the heat has subsided...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
Seems things are growing again....

butternut squash...
DSCF0336.JPG
DSCF0333.JPG

Bodacious Sweet corn...
DSCF0330.JPG

DSCF0335.JPG

Tomatoes....
DSCF0332.JPG

cukes....
1 big one lower right... and small guys on the blossoms..
DSCF0331.JPG

Attachments

• 1626880446454.jpeg
    1626880446454.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 14
Nice garden Dave, I wish I had that kind of room for a bigger garden. I’d be embarrassed to show you our garden, but we do get a lot of veggies from such a small space.
Al

• Wow
Reactions: daveomak
Nice garden Dave, I wish I had that kind of room for a bigger garden. I’d be embarrassed to show you our garden, but we do get a lot of veggies from such a small space.
Al

Al, morning... It's got to be bigger next year... This drip irrigation is awesome... Plants grow much better... The 5' corn is over 7 feet... Same with the tomatoes.. Squash plants were minature, HAHAHAHA.... cukes are over 5' tall....
It's gonna have wider rows and more plant support..
Any garden is worthy of praise...

Great looking garden Dave!
Here is the first little haul from mine from yesterday. Little bit of young celery, the first tomatoes with a TON more coming on, Cauliflower head, a few lemon cucumbers and a few green beans. There's a bunch of delacatta squash getting big too!
Yesteday.jpg
cel.jpg
sq.jpg
Toms2.jpg

Good to see, Dave! Gardening is an exercise in patience.....
With you it was the heat, with me it was too much rain and no sun for 2 weeks.
I thought I would lose some plants but they survived and are coming back. Like a stall with a cut of meat.....
I have high hopes for the Better Boys and the Romas. They're loaded and my fingers are crossed.
I'm giving up on squash after this year. The plants get huge with a gazillion flowers but no fruits. I had 1 tiny Butternut last year and so far only 1 Zuchinni
this year. Oh well.
What I thought was cucumbers was actually pickle cucumbers but they're doing well. Guess I need to learn how to make pickles....
I envy you that gardening space. I have 6 raised planters with 12 plants and some Herbs.

Good to see, Dave! Gardening is an exercise in patience.....
With you it was the heat, with me it was too much rain and no sun for 2 weeks.
I thought I would lose some plants but they survived and are coming back. Like a stall with a cut of meat.....
I have high hopes for the Better Boys and the Romas. They're loaded and my fingers are crossed.
I'm giving up on squash after this year. The plants get huge with a gazillion flowers but no fruits. I had 1 tiny Butternut last year and so far only 1 Zuchinni
this year. Oh well.
What I thought was cucumbers was actually pickle cucumbers but they're doing well. Guess I need to learn how to make pickles....
I envy you that gardening space. I have 6 raised planters with 12 plants and some Herbs.
Look up SmokinAl SmokinAl Recipe for garlic dill pickles... you won't be disappointed!

Your garden is looking great Dave!

Ryan

That’s great news Dave. Sure happy that heat dome left your area. And now you won’t be without fresh vegetables. Take care buddy.

Looking good Dave. I agree with the irrigation, "awesome". First couple of cuc's today. Been eating spinach salads for awhile. Things are slow but coming. 1 - 13" zuc needs to be picked soon. Potatoes in foreground.
20210717_110706.jpg

Zucchinis shouldn't be planted next to other plants of the Pumpkin family, nor should they be grown in the same place several years in a row. Also, don't plant them near bell-shaped flowers with pink color. But after potatoes, beets, cabbage, carrots, onions, or greens. You can plant both seeds (early May) and seedlings (May-June) of zucchinis in the open ground if you want to get an earlier harvest. But it's still better to postpone planting for a time when the threat of return frosts is over. Beforehand, I suggest choosing a warm sunny place in the vegetable garden and preparing the soil

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky