My Gabagool

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
sawhorseray sawhorseray , this is fantastic. I’ve used Umai before with great results and I just ordered it again. Ok, so the Coppa is also what is used to make Buckboard Bacon? I just picked up a couple of bone-in butts to make Buckboard and, if I’m not mistaken, that’s the cut. Right? So what do you all do with the stuff left on the bone? Sausage? Pork steak?

Hi Sven! Buckboard bacon is made from a straight cut below the fat-cap taking some of the money muscle meat, one hopes to get about a 50/50 fat to meat ratio. I made some Buckboard an eon back, not really my thing longer I make my bacon from belly meat for the last 20 years or so.

I make my own sausage so that usually goes into the grind unless I fire up the Q for some pulled pork. A pig is a beautiful animal, nothing ever really need to go to waste. RAY

sawhorseray sawhorseray Thanks for the info. I think I got it. I’ve exclusively done belly bacon for a decade or more but I have a neighbor who likes a bit more lean for health reasons. His Dr. Wife doesn’t know I sneak him bacon. I thought I’d give Buckboard a shot this next round but one of these meat chunks is turning into Coppa. I have a lot of patience so this is a perfect project for me. Love me some paper thin salty uncooked cured dry pork.

Reactions: sawhorseray
1642737585809.png

Dang Ray that looks great! Might hve to look into umai bags too...like my to do list really needs any additions! Ryan

Thanks Ryan! The bags make getting into charcuterie easy, you can make high quality product right in your fridge without needing the expense and hassle of a curing chamber. The little bags that come in the starter sets are just about a waste of money, only good for little stuff like sausage, I pretty much do only coppa and lomo these days. Thank you for the Like, I do appreciate it! RAY

BTW....
For those that don't know, the capicola is the muscle group that continues from the loin to the neck. The Coppa is when you remove the muscle group like eric's video and follow the seam along the back of the shoulder blade bone. You end up with the capicola and a part of the butt.

Beautiful Ray, absolutely beautiful. Nuff said :emoji_wink: Robert

Thank you Robert! After stuffing myself all day I'm about coppa'd out. Thank for the Like Robert much appreciated! RAY

sawhorseray sawhorseray
Ray, I am speechless and can only imagine how savory it must taste. Great job.

Thanks Stu! I'll be sure to have a little on hand for our AZ get-together, it will happen some fine day for sure. Thanks for the Like amigo, I do appreciate it! RAY

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Can you do mold 600 with Umai? I can’t remember. I did a copa in a regular fridge using the aging sheets and mold 600. Came out great. Have a little piece left I’m trying to hold onto.
Need to start another one so I can eat what’s left.

Jbo

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky