My fist smoker build..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

murphy625

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 14, 2016
So long story short, in 2014, I took some pigs we raised to a butcher and wasn't happy with the service..   They stole half my bacon..   So I decided to process all the pigs myself from now on and that requires some equipment.

One of the things I need is a sizeable smoker..  A 400 lb pig has a lot of meat on it! 

So here my build..  its a work in progress and we just got to testing the burner today...      The smoker is 7 feet tall, about 52 inches deep and 36 inches wide (inside dimensions)..   Its all 304 and 316 stainless 11ga plate, then wrapped in 2 inches of 1200 deg mineral wool insulation and covered with standard steel pole barn siding.

The unit is designed to be used and stored outdoors and can be powered with either propane or natural gas.. (we're using natural gas)..

Started off with some autocad design work..    The kitchen sink is my wood box. 

Here's the unit as it is today..   Still have to finish the exhaust stack, door, and control systems.

And today's test of the burner:    (Going to have to so some polish work on the stainless inside to clean it up)

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky