my first UDS drum (pics included)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

should i strip the paint off and use high temp grill paint

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ralphbrown05

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
jacksonville, fl
ok everybody this is my first UDS drum build... it was a refurbished drum that i got for 10 bucks from our purchasing department at my work... i used the plans from http://www.bbqbug.com/forums/general-bbq-grilling/832-our-uds-cooker-how-build-one-part-1-a.html  to a T... this is the original color that came on the drum (black and yellow, black and yellow) my question is do i need to strip down the paint with paint stripper to bare metal and then use the rust-oleum high temp stove paint? and i did all the welding on the fire basket myself... lemme tell you the basket last 4-5 smokers... i made it from a queen size bed frame, and 1/8 inch expended metal... this sucker is a beast, but if anybody can help me with the paint issue that would be good... i also have heard that paint does not stick to metal that has already been exposed to high heat... so if you can help, thanks in advance

happy smoking

53d46ebf_firebasket.jpg

02c7cab9_smoker.jpg

Burn it out as hot as you can to burn off the exterior paint. The new paint will stick if you prep the metal right.

oh ok, i was just curious because i work with a mechanic who did body work for 20+ years and he told me that paint does not stick well to metal that has been exposed to high heat... something about the metal loosing the purities or something and that paint doesnt stick well... thanks

I would think that if you roughed the surface then applied a good primer paint would stick no problem.

Although stripping the paint may be easier.

Last edited:
I've never heard of the paint not sticking to metal that was heated, Maybe he meant automotive finishes. I don't think there would be a problem with high temp paint.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky