My first try on the smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

guitarman023

Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Marietta, OH
Hey guys, just wanted to do a quick write up on some drumsticks I tried tonight. I just did a dry rub that I got from quaker steak and lube, chipotle bbq.  Turned out much better than I expected.

Getting the coals ready.  I just put four pieces of hickory in with the charcoal and then started with a chimney full of briquettes to get things going.

lots of smoke, and maintaining temp at 375, lowest I was able to get it to stay at, built my fire a little too big I think.

I HIGHLY recommend this thermometer, worked great, and since both the stock thermometer and the one I got from lowes were off by more than 50 degrees, this was a life saver.  I may pick up another one to monitor ambient temp inside the smoker.  This has a timer and ideal setting for meat and even how done you want it.  Worked like a charm!  26 bucks at lowes and it's wireless

Here's the drumsticks with my rub on them

Chilling in the lawn chair watching the temp climb

here's the money shot after just over an hour smoking.  The skins weren't quite crispy so I pulled the main smoker body off and finished them on the grill for a few mins

Here's the wings with nice crispy skins

Finished product, they were GREAT!  I'm really glad i didn't screw them up, it was much easier than I thought.  They were very juicy and had a lot of smoke flavor.  The seasoning didn't soak in through the skin, so I may do injections or something different next time.  I may try the wings I saw on here with the injected hotsauce, those look great.  Thanks for looking, and let me know if you see anything I could have improved on.

Nice , Guitarman. Looks as if you are getting the hang of your Smoker
biggrin.gif
. A little more Yardbird trials and you'll be ready for a Butt
drool.gif

Keep playing with your fuel and ,Yes< another therm. would do you much good.

Have fun , keep the Smoke Blue and have a great time with your new Hobby. Now you know what to ask for at Christmas.....

Have fun and...

looking good... yes, next time cut back on the lit charcoal... also I would go get a grill mat or 2 to put on your deck and under your smoker... you'll thank me later....

looking good... yes, next time cut back on the lit charcoal... also I would go get a grill mat or 2 to put on your deck and under your smoker... you'll thank me later....
where would I find a grill mat?  I was on the deck to avoid the rain.  I set everything up on the patio just below the deck and got rained out lol

they have been found in the BBQ departments in most stores... Also check out the carpet departments and look at the rolls of carpet "runners".. I have found them in clear, or black "rubber runners".. I buy 20' lengths and lay them in my garage where I park the cars... Maybe get 2 pieces cut at 5' and put them side by side.. that's the only problem with the runners.. they are only like 2' wide...

So find the mats (google search) and look them over and see what ya think...

I didn't know if you cook on the deck full time or not... If so.. you'll surely want to check into one or the other...

Thanks for all the tips guys!  I brought in a few of the drumsticks I had leftover to work, and I've already got requests.  
biggrin.gif

TSC would likely be the heaviest and highest priced. I was in Menard's today and saw some ( I would say 1yr. use ones for $19. They were about 4'X6". gray and I'm guessing at lenght ; they were rolled , so...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky