My first stab at pork belly bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

isuhunter

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 25, 2015
I have made buckboard bacon and canadian bacon but never pork belly.  I went to Sam's club in hopes of finding a roast to slice up for steaks and ended up leaving with a pork belly and 19 lbs of ground beef.  I have 2 options for smoking, what do you guys think I should do? (Well I could actually have a 3rd)

1. Weber grill

2. UDS

3. Borrow a buddies MES 30

Here is the recipe I'm using for my 5.5 lb belly. (I believe this is Cowgirls recipe)

1 TBSP Morton's Tenderquick per pound
1 tsp. sugar per pound
1 TBSP Ground Pepper
1 TBSP Onion Powder
1 TBSP Granulated Garlic
1.5 tsp Cayenne Pepper

Last edited:
Well today, my wife was tired when I got home from work so I grabbed the kiddos (3.5 and 5 wk old) and we ran up to Sam's Club.  Grabbed another pork belly and tried another bacon recipe tonight.  Now time to research cold smoking in my UDS.  I think I may need to add another rack this week to it.

I have an a-maze-n smoker and pitmaster pellets.  Think that would be a good choice?

Ruhlman Recipe

1 day on the Cowgirl recipe

Last edited:
I haven't tried the pitmaster blend, I usually just stick to hickory for cold smoking bacon.

But a lot of guys on here use it.

Al

Well these two turned out way to smokey.

Going to try this again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky