My first smoked pork butt..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texas smokin

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 16, 2022
Dallas-Fort Worth
Got my Yoder YS640s about 5-6 weeks ago and have worked up to my first long cook today with a pork butt. Overall, I'm pretty pleased. I did slow and low, at 200 for the first 10 hours and then bumped it up to finish off the 9 pound butt. Let me know what you think. The one issue that I could use help on is when I went to remove the butt, it was stuck to the grate (fat side down). Lost a little of the bark but not much. Any way to avoid that all together?

Attachments

• 20221029_174229.jpg
    20221029_174229.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 56
  • 20221029_182443.jpg
    20221029_182443.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 56
Looks delicious to me!! Congrats on your first long cook! One idea is to use a non stick grill mat. Many different ones to look at on Amazon. I use one quite a bit and it works pretty well.

Looks great, that's pretty normal for them to stick, lot of heat on bottom on higher temps, that's why folks will cook fat side down, sacrificial offering to the cooking gods lol

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks excellent and delicious, especially for a first cook. Great work.

That butt & PP look fantastic!
I always spray the whole smoker down with Pam, before every smoke. I still get some of the meat sticking to the grates, but not too much. Also each time you use your smoker the grates will get more seasoned & become naturally non-stick. But, there will always be a mess to clean up!!
Al

Reactions: DRKsmoking
That looks amazing! I know this sounds nuts but I learned to soak my pork butt overnight in root beer (yes really) and then pad dry/season for an incredible flavor. I learned this in Hawaii and I haven’t looked back since!

Got my Yoder YS640s about 5-6 weeks ago and have worked up to my first long cook today with a pork butt. Overall, I'm pretty pleased. I did slow and low, at 200 for the first 10 hours and then bumped it up to finish off the 9 pound butt. Let me know what you think. The one issue that I could use help on is when I went to remove the butt, it was stuck to the grate (fat side down). Lost a little of the bark but not much. Any way to avoid that all together?
Hi there and welcome!

That looks fantastic to me! I have no idea how to keep it from sticking. I'm lucky that I can pull my smoker racks out and they fit on top of a half sheet backing pan. I then set that all down on the counter or table and use giant tongs to ease meat off the grates.
Another thing I do is I set down my 2 sheets of foil on the table and then flip the while smoker rack over on the foil so the meat pulls itself off the smoker rack as it lands on the foil. Then I fool with the rack as much as needed from that point.

Not fool proof or very scientific, but it does the job well for my setup lol. Not sure you can do the same thing but it may give you some ideas.

Everything looks great...

My suggestion to keep from sticking... Move it around (turn it) on the grate once an hour or so... This also lets different sides of the meat sit in maybe a different cooking temp... so then in the end it all evens out and no stick ...

Thanks everyone for you nice comments. It was delicious!! I love those first bites as you're pulling it apart. Have made sandwiches and tomorrow night putting it over baked potatoes.

Appreciate the tips to help with sticking. I'll incorporate those into my next cook. Another couple of weeks and a few more cooks . . . the brisket cook!!!

Reactions: MJB05615 and tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky